Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flippin Roof Recall

I've decided to ask GM to come pick my Vette up and trailer it to Connecticut, so c4c5 can work on it. I'll have them bring me a new Z06 to drive while it's gone, preferably LeMans Blue, for variety. I'm pretty sure it WILL happen, in my dreams...

Here are a couple pics of the separating roof panel for entertainment.
Norty--yes the undersurface is black.

URL=http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/gersh1terri/Image008.jpg]
th_Image008.jpg
[/url]
Look, Ma, no hand!!

Hey, after a roof comes off, is there some reason they can't clean it and replace it? Why does the recall specify a new roof panel--is is a different design that will stay on better?

Latest update--
The out-of-state dealer that GM customer service found to work on the roof has finally gotten around to deciding they won't do it afterall. They have never done one, apparently lack confidence, and are using the excuse that it was already worked on at another dealership.:confused
I wonder if the problem is that GM is going bankrupt and the dealers don't want to do warranty work, because GM may never be able to pay them. This is four dealers now who have said they won't work on this roof panel replacement!
Now that the roof has come off, I can't drive the car in questionable weather (and it looks crappy anyway), and the interior panel also seems to be coming loose now.:mad
GM Customer Service takes a week to respond to phone calls. It has been over a month, working through them, and I am no further than I was when I first contacted them. What a frustrating fiasco...:bash

Try contacting and meeting the regional GM rep.

If that doesn't work, call the press, make a HUGE sign that reads "This dealer won't fix the roof on my 70k car," and camp out in front of the original dealership.

GM Customer "Service"

Here's an interesting item about how good GM's customer service is:

One of the reps that I have been in contact with for almost 6 weeks called me this morning and said she had a voicemail from a Regional Manager, who said he had called me and told me that the local Chevy dealer would fix my car, but that the "upgrade" would cost me extra and that they could not match the color of my car!

I told her that no regional manager had talked to me (or left me a message), that I didn't know anything about an upgrade but still wanted the roof panel firmly attached to the car, and also that I felt with a car this new, it wasn't acceptable to say they couldn't match the color.

She thought for a minute, then agreed with me about the color, and said there "seems to be some miscommunication" and she would have to get back to me.

I would like to hope this is not representative of the quality of service that GM is offering, but my experiences the last few months suggest it is typical.

?"Final" update

I had the roof replaced last week. My local in-town dealership finally decided they could do it (actually sublet it to the local Ford shop since they don't have a body shop themselves)! It looks perfect. doesn't creak anymore (so far), and they were REALLY trying for total customer satisfaction, so they also replaced one of the side weatherstrip pieces which wasn't quite perfect.

I am going to try to keep a good relationship with that dealership, because one lesson I got from this whole painful episode is that GM customer service is your last resort, because it is nearly worthless. It's better to work with a local dealer if at all possible.

The dealer's new service manager said she was going to try to get their shop "Corvette Certified". I'm not sure what that means or if she can succeed, but I like the attitude!

HI there,
Yes, that is correct.
The new roof is made of an ABS plastic vs the SMC plastic.
Allthebest, c4c5
The new style roof is white on the underside. It is also heavier in weight. The old one is black on the underside.

It appears as though the adhesive used @ the factory is releasing it's bond when "high temperatures" are introduced to the black top. Also, it seems that the exterior color has something to do with it (Maybe absorbing UV energy?)Evidently, there is something different to the white top that makes the adhesive stick better. Yes, it occurs to Z06's also.

I had my top "foamed" on the recall also. I had no seperation before, during or after.:beer

Gersh,
I am really glad you finally got it straightened out to your satisfaction. Still, it must be very hard not to be bitter about the whole thing.

Tammy

Roof

I brought my Coup in to have the roof repaired under warranty just like the letter I got in the mail said to. My dealer Wood-Field Chevrolet in Schaumburg IL. fixed it while I waited. Then this summer in all the heat it started to make a popping sound when the car flexed; so I brought it back and took the mechanic for a ride. He said you just need to have some shims placed; he ordered the parts and they called me two days later; and I again brought it in; and in a little over an hour the repair was completed. No noise and it fits like a glove. Great service.:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom