Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

flooded

89vette

i just did cap/rotor/plugs/wires.other then pulling the plugs or holding it to the floor is there a way to clear it?

Are you talking about the plugs being flooded? I would just pull them out and let them dry. I flooded a car pretty bad a month ago and set the plugs in front of an electric heater to dry them faster.

re/flooded

yes i know but those plugs are a pain in the #$% just looking for an easy
way out.

You could try pulling the fuse for the fuel pump and crank it a while to dry them out.

It would really help to crank it over with the plugs out, to dry out the combustion chamber. I think the most efficient way would be to pull the plugs, which would probably be 30-60 mins depending how experienced you are with pulling them.

yes i know but those plugs are a pain in the #$% just looking for an easy
way out.

They are not that bad especially the drivers side. And the passenger side isnt that bad. I agree taking the plugs out to try is probably the best and fastest way to dry them out.

BTW Welcome to the CAC! :w

During a cap/rotor/wires replacement, how did the engine become flooded to the point that the spark plugs need to be dried?

Unless you have liquid fuel in any cylinders, usually you can clear flood by flooring the throttle and cranking. When the engine fires, let off the gas.

In fact, that puts the ECM into a specific "clear flood" mode. Which shuts off the injectors temporarily.

Hib, I am intrested about this clear flood mode. What comes to mind is if a car has been sitting a while and you wanted to crank it over a few more times then normal before it fires for lubrication. Would this work for that application as well?

Look it over

I have posted about this before but as already said the ecm would shut off the fuel if the car is flooded. The next question is how does the ecm know the car is flooded. The TPS tells the ecm that the throttle is wide open trying to clear a flooded condition. Under this scenario the ecm shuts off the fuel to the injectors because it believes the engine has to clear itself. In this mode there actually is no fuel in the cylinders just a false reading from the TPS. You might try disconnecting the TPS and cranking the engine and see if it will fire. If not then squirt a small amount of carb cleaner in the throttle body opening while someone else is cranking the engine. If it fires and runs then you have a bad TPS. If the engine does run then the ecm has reset itself but you will still need to replace the TPS. And finally if there are any codes at all they will say the ecm is bad not the tps don't believe them. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom