Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Floor Board Drain Holes on 1981

91-Vetteman

Corvette
1991 Blue Coupe
I am doing a full interior restoration on my 81 Vette. I pretty much have pulled everything out of the interior. When I pulled my carpet and padding up, I was surprised at rust chips laying around in the front floor board area. I guess this part of the car is not fiberglass. There were 1 or 2 drain holes on each side, they had nothing in them. I was going through a Vette catalog last night and I saw an item called floor board drain plugs. So, are these drain holes suppose to have plugs in them? ;shrug

When I stripped the compleet interior the only drain plugs I found where in the battery and acc. boxes behind the two seats.
Good luck with the resto!

Groeten Peter

This is the style "plug" used in all 4 drain holes on all of my Vettes. Original. More of a drain hose than a plug.
drain.jpg

Both of my '81s were different. The one I'm working on now only has drain plugs in each of the rear compartments as shown by mkapp7879. The front floor pan and the rear floor pan had plastic plugs like the ones found in the front cowl area.

The '81 I just cut up had tack welded plugs in the floor pans and the drain plug style in the rear compartments.

In addition Corvetts made after 1975 are made of a compound refered to as SMC (sheet molded compound). A fiberglass composit.

tcxd40

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom