Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Member Intro and 73 Project Kickoff

Deke736

Corvette
1973 Coupe Resto-Mod
Hi all- I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and tell you a little bit about my 1973 Coupe Resto Mod project I am starting.

My name is Matt, and I live just outside of St. Louis. I grew up in a GM family and my dad is a huge Corvette fan. I got my passion for cars from him, especially for the Corvette. I purchased my first Vette in 2006 when I was 27, it was a 2000 Sebring Silver Vert with gray interior. I loved that car but sold it in March of last year just a few weeks before I took delivery of a 2012 Camaro ZL1 (first one in St. Louis). Here are pics taken right before I sold it:

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

On to my new Corvette-

So a few months back I bought a 73 coupe that was stripped and ripe for a restoration. The car is Dark Blue Metallic with Dark Blue interior, and was originally equipped with an L-82, auto trans, with power windows and locks. Overall the frame looks good with very little rust, and the body is in decent shape, but it needs a new front bumper and some minor fiberglass repair. Since it had no engine, transmission, exhaust, wheels, interior, etc, I decided to go rest-mod on it. I will be doing a body-off restoration.

Here are some pics as it sits today:

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

This past weekend at the NCRS Winter Meet Swap Meet in Kissimmee I purchased a 99 LS1 with less than 1,500 miles on it, a VB&P Big Daddy upgrade kit, all new chrome everything, weatherstripping, S/S brake line kit, and some misc. parts to get me started on my project. For a tranny, I am planning on going with a 4L60e. I also got a chance to go out to the Mecum auction and found my exterior color (Mille Miglia Red), my interior color (medium saddle), and my wheels (AR Torque Thrust M Anthracite in 17's). I am probably going to install headers & side pipes, since I love the look and the sound from a LS1 seems very manageable. The interior will have upgraded seats, either Fiero (if I can find them) or C5.

After seeing a ton of amazing rest mods at the auction on Saturday, I am excited to get this project moving. I have a ton of great help around me, and it should be a fun learning experience as well. I have already found a ton of great info reading some threads on here as well, so I am sure i will have tons of questions as I go.

Thanks for stopping by!

Welcome to CAC!!!!
Good luck with the restoration!!!!!

Welcome, and have fun.

Keep us posted on your progress...

:beer

I love 73's.....I had a Metallic Yellow L82 with Saddle interior that was a sharp looking car. Good luck on your project....keep us informed to your progress.....

Looks like fun. I finished resto-modding a '73 last year. If I knew then what I know now, I would've done a body off also. Does your 73 still have the gauges in it? If so, there may some minor challenges making everything work with the newer setup but all doable, easier with the body off to do engine, trani, brakes, suspension upgrades, etc. What brake/wheel setup you going with? What trani? Keep us posted.

Looks like fun. I finished resto-modding a '73 last year. If I knew then what I know now, I would've done a body off also. Does your 73 still have the gauges in it? If so, there may some minor challenges making everything work with the newer setup but all doable, easier with the body off to do engine, trani, brakes, suspension upgrades, etc. What brake/wheel setup you going with? What trani? Keep us posted.

BTW, mine was originally dark blue and medium saddle interior. I redid most of the interior as well.

Always nice to see a C3 being brought back to life, especially a 73. Wish I had the room, I'd start another project too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom