Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

FLOWCOOLER WATER PUMP ISSUES

EOLIVER

Corvette
1989 DARK BLU METALIC SIX SPEED CONV
Just finshed install of flowcooler water pump, shaw 180 t-stat, and new coolant. My idle speed has increased to 1100 rpm and the radiator fan does not turn on (would i get codes if bad fan relay?) on at any point, even after 30 minstes of driving. I'm wodering if my t-stat is installed wrong (oriented with the point down vice up) because upon start-up with, the radiator cap off, the radiator warms and the fluid is visbily moving through radiator. Upon warming to operating level, the fluid is being expelled from the radiator (fan never activates and no overheat warning via the dash).

I'm going to check my t-stat orientation in the AM, but what indication would I get if the t-stat were installed upside down?

Is is there a requirement to upgrade the radiator cap to something more than the stock psi (currently running a 17lb cap) when installing a High Pressure water pump?

I thought the point part of the thermostat pointed up (direction of the hood).

Are you sure the water pump you purchased is for a corvette L98?
It uses a reverse rotation pump.

As for the fan not coming on, you can short pin A to B on the diag. connector located above the drivers knee and the fan should come on when you turn the ignition to on.

Make sure the two pin connector is plugged into the temperature sensor located in the front/edge of the intake manifold. That sensor is where the computer gets the engine temp. Could be why you have a high idle. If it is disconnected, I would think code 15 would set in the ECM.

There are no codes if the fan relay is bad.
I would not increase the pressure of the radiator cap. The side tanks on the factory radiator are plastic. I would think you have a high flow water pump and not a high pressure one.

Your fan won't come on until around 228 if I remember correctly for a stock factory chip.

you are correct i have a high flow watr pump. Thanks for the help I will check the things you mentioned above. Now that I thin about it, it would be impossible to install the t-stat upside down given the shape of it.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Today I reset my minimum idle setting and it solved the problem. Thanks again everyone, this site never lets me down

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom