Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flywheel compatibilty

Paddywhack

Corvette
1986 Dark red coupe
Starting to get a little overwhelmed....after a 1 1/2 years of ownership, found out its not the original engine, but a 5.0. Bought an early 80's 5.7 four bolt main, which is now at the machine shop getting cleaned, honed and all that good stuff. I know the flywheel needs to be changed due to the fact going from a 1 piece seal, 153 tooth flywheel to a 2 piece rear seal, 168 tooth flywheel. Does the clutch and pressure plate need to be changed also?;help If so, to what?;help The 5.0 is out of the vette now, but the clutch and pressure plate look very good. BTW, its 4+3 trans.

:w

Measure the distance from the bell housing mount surface to the flywheel surface on each. That should tell you . Of course hole pattern for pressure plate needs to be right.

Glenn
:w

I know the flywheel needs to be changed due to the fact going from a 1 piece seal, 153 tooth flywheel to a 2 piece rear seal, 168 tooth flywheel. Does the clutch and pressure plate need to be changed also? its 4+3 trans.
As I recall a 168 flywheel won't fit inside a 4+3 bellhousing so you need a 2 pce seal 153 tooth flywheel as fitted to 84 - 85 Vettes ( or any other 2 pce SBC ) and reuse all your clutch components on it.

The original Vette 4+3 flywheel was a lightweight nodular iron (16lb ) unit vs 30lb for regular pass car
GM Performance 14085720 - GM Performance Flywheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Other options
Flywheels - SummitRacing.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom