Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fog Light Help

WLS Ruby 93

Corvette
1998 Torch Red Coupe
Since the weather was nasty the last two days I decided it was time to give my car a "Nose job", meaning remove the nose cone/bumper and install the after market fog light air intake grills, clean out the radiator fins with compressed air and try to find out why my fog lights do not work.

In there lies the rub. Since I bought the car that way I don't know what originally caused the problem.

So here is the diagnostics I've done so far.

1. Replaced the fog light 10 amp fuse with a new one; old one looked good.
2. Unplugged each light and activated them in place with a separate 12v power source, they function fine.
3. Tested the fog light feed wire from the fuse to the lights, it test positive for continuity, no problem.
4. Replaced the fog light relay.

Also, I know the head lights have to be on to activate the fog lights.

When I press the fog light switch I can hear a clicking sound (Just one click), coming from the underhood fuse box but it's not the new relay clicking. I can't pinpoint exactly where the click is coming from in the box.

...and there is a relay labeled "Rear fog light"???
What rear fog light and does it have anything to do with the up front fog lights? If so maybe that relay is bad or could it be a bad switch?

I'm open for ideas, thanks.

Keep 'em rollin' :W

Bill :w

Since the weather was nasty the last two days I decided it was time to give my car a "Nose job", meaning remove the nose cone/bumper and install the after market fog light air intake grills, clean out the radiator fins with compressed air and try to find out why my fog lights do not work.

In there lies the rub. Since I bought the car that way I don't know what originally caused the problem.

So here is the diagnostics I've done so far.

1. Replaced the fog light 10 amp fuse with a new one; old one looked good.
2. Unplugged each light and activated them in place with a separate 12v power source, they function fine.
3. Tested the fog light feed wire from the fuse to the lights, it test positive for continuity, no problem.
4. Replaced the fog light relay.

Also, I know the head lights have to be on to activate the fog lights.

When I press the fog light switch I can hear a clicking sound (Just one click), coming from the underhood fuse box but it's not the new relay clicking. I can't pinpoint exactly where the click is coming from in the box.

...and there is a relay labeled "Rear fog light"???
What rear fog light and does it have anything to do with the up front fog lights? If so maybe that relay is bad or could it be a bad switch?

I'm open for ideas, thanks.

Keep 'em rollin' :W

Bill :w
With your engine or ign. in the "on" position......do your fog lamps light up when you pull back on your turn signal post? This is the "Flash to Pass" feature on the C5, supposedly warns the driver ahead that you're passing. Hell, I use to "wave" at other vette owners!! They will not flash with the headlites ON.

I'm guessing you may have a faultly relay. Pull the DTC codes from the DIC and check them out.

The "rear fog" relay you mentioned is probably for the defrost grid on your rear window. There are no rear fog lamps on a vette rear, only back up lites.

Good luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom