Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

For the folks who've owned both C5 and C6 Z06s

I owned an '04 Z-06 until I bought an '07 Z-06 a month ago. ... I do like the reduced front and rear overhang - I can get out of my driveway without dragging the front spoiler now (that was impossible with the C5)...

Strange... I had a stock 02 Z06 and now a stock 07 Z06, and with the 02 I could get in and out of my driveway without dragging the front, but in the 07 I can not seem to find the right angle out of the driveway to not drag the front (not sure if it is the spoiler or the "splitter")...

BTW, regarding styling. I never cared that much for the very rounded and big rear of the C5 Z06, nor the popup "barn" doors for headlights (although it was cool to sitt inside and see them pop up). I like the C6 Z06 styling, although I did like the C5 Z06 rear brake vents better. Also I would have liked a shorter front overhang on the C6 Z06, and the size and relative location of the 3 round lights in the headlight pods bothered me, but I got used to it.

I think think the 1st gear should be lower as the few friends I have let drive it has stalled it because they were not used to having to rev it more to get going... but that is the prize we pay for the 0-60 time all done in 1st gear I guess...

I hate the interior door panels and dash that get smudged from just touching it. If I bring a friend to lunch, then the next day there will be whitish smuges apparent on the places he touched the door panel. Hm, I should do a plant owner feedbak entry for that to see what they have to say...

Did I mention that I love my 07 Z06. :D

-kg

C6 vs C5

The more I drive mine, the more I love it. The styling has really grown on me. I never did like the pop-up headlights. That was a bad idea that they kept for far too long.

It is a gorgeous car and an awesome driving machine. The handling is noticeably better than my C5, and the extra 100 horsepower makes the car a lot more fun to drive. Now that the weather is finally cooling off, those heated leather seats will really be nice, too.

The only downer is the exhaust note. My C5 sounded a lot better. The car is far too quiet below 3,000 rpm. I took the exhaust baffle fuse out, and it now has an annoying resonance (actually an obnoxious roar) around 1,400 to about 1,700 rpm that my wife hates (I don't like it much either). I am going to install a set of long-tube headers, and that should get me a nice exhaust note like I had on the '04 Z-06 (maybe add a few horsepower also).

Bill

Strange... I had a stock 02 Z06 and now a stock 07 Z06, and with the 02 I could get in and out of my driveway without dragging the front, but in the 07 I can not seem to find the right angle out of the driveway to not drag the front (not sure if it is the spoiler or the "splitter")...

BTW, regarding styling. I never cared that much for the very rounded and big rear of the C5 Z06, nor the popup "barn" doors for headlights (although it was cool to sitt inside and see them pop up). I like the C6 Z06 styling, although I did like the C5 Z06 rear brake vents better. Also I would have liked a shorter front overhang on the C6 Z06, and the size and relative location of the 3 round lights in the headlight pods bothered me, but I got used to it.

I think think the 1st gear should be lower as the few friends I have let drive it has stalled it because they were not used to having to rev it more to get going... but that is the prize we pay for the 0-60 time all done in 1st gear I guess...

I hate the interior door panels and dash that get smudged from just touching it. If I bring a friend to lunch, then the next day there will be whitish smuges apparent on the places he touched the door panel. Hm, I should do a plant owner feedbak entry for that to see what they have to say...

Did I mention that I love my 07 Z06. :D

-kg

I agree about the exhaust sound, too quiet at low rpm.
My 02 Z06 sounded much better!
The 07 Z06 has more of a quite growel at low rpm which I enjoy, but it is too quiet until you get over 3000 rpm as mentioned.

I also tried to remove the exhaust baffle fuse, but it got really annoying with the resonance at idle at red lights.

-kg

Abrasive Exhaust

I set up my 02 Z w/ Halltech TRAP and w/long tubes and 3" x-cross and metal matrix cats. They add sustantial power and lots of low RPM drowning roar. It irritated the hell out of me.

The C6 has the same problem at a slightly lower RPM w/ the fuse pulled. The fuse is back in and will stay there until I get some more headers or whatever, I wonder if the GM engineers recognized this and decided 3000 RPMs as the cut over on purpose? I wish that GM could make a decent sounding exhaust system that would satisfy the feds and the owner as well. It may be a given that exhaust issues will be personal preggerence.:ugh

Greetings:
I'm in Orange, got a new Z06, first oil change noticed needle bearings on the magnet. Who do you use for service? I purchased it at Cormier, and am considering having them check out the problem.

Regards,
Ken Olson

NEEDLE BRGS?

Sounds like the needle bearing pins could be from the roller rockers. Not enough lube or bad brg.Take it in and check it out before a valve ends up in a piston.
59-62USNVET

Corvette Center

Hello Ken,
If you are looking to bypass the dealership, use The Corvette Center in Newington, talk to Ray Zisa, he is a great guy. He is a wealth of information. 860-953-2994
Greetings:
I'm in Orange, got a new Z06, first oil change noticed needle bearings on the magnet. Who do you use for service? I purchased it at Cormier, and am considering having them check out the problem.

Regards,
Ken Olson

CA?

Greetings:

Regards,
Ken Olson
Thought you were in Orange, CT....sorry

I had the 08' Z fever while picking up my new truck today at the dealer. They had a beautiful red one sitting on the showroom floor, but starring out the window at the cloudy cold sky of winter, I had to do what I had to do and ignore its alluring charms.

Hey Todd, I'm surprised you haven't pulled the trigger on a C6Z yet. ;) With winter settling in I guess now is not the time to purchase and sit and watch it sit in the garage. Nice cars to say the least. I keep getting C6 fever on the '08. Thankfully I haven't driven one yet. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom