Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Formato FasterProms

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
I gave them a Email and I got some interesting news I didnt know of I though same of you would like to know.

Hes tell me they're chips are the best and why (actually a real nice guy)

BUT he also tells me that IF I switch my Computer or ECM from a 85 to a 87+ thats it will increase the data tramitted just like a slower to a faster Home computer does

So heres my plan

Change my ECM to a 87 or better and Im going to use the JET computer simply because I cant afford the Formato one

But when I do my major engine job (383 Mini ram) then I'll use his.

Why not use your own PROM?

I have had a Formato PROM in my car for 8 years. I just started to burn my own. You can get it more accurate then any custom PROM, unless they are dyno tuning your car.

As for the 87 ECM.. there is a nice website for converting.. since there are wiring changes from your 85

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/

Ok mabe Im quite happy the way I am that looked like chinese to me. Im ok at electronic stuff but in no way am I a programming rewiring kind of guy.

yeah, to go from an 85 ECM to the 86-89 165 you will need to repin the ECM harness or build an adapter as shown on the website..

If you still want to convert.. I could be persuaded in creating an adapter harness for you.. there may be 2 or 3 wires you would have to splice into but the majority would be done..

I have a junk ECM rob to needed connectors from but would need to pruchase a new set to connect to the new ECM

If you are interested.. shoot me an email at jdebuhr@attbi.com

the list of parts would be:
Junk ECM for connectors
new wiring connectors to plug to the 165
a 165 ECM (Ihave 2 working ones I don't need)
2 relays with harness plugs
and some time

-=Jeff=-

Burn your own

Jeff,

I checked out the link on your site to burn your own chips. I found out that the speed density cars have a problem with the "pump shot" mode on modified engines. I have been having a once in a while problem (while autocrossing) where I pump the throttle and get a back fire through the intake, then feather in and go like the wind. I have stock chip. The TPiS chip is about $570 and I have to start at a stage 6 because of the miniram, heads, cam, headers etc.

Anyway, I get nervous about buring my own even though I am Mr. Do it Myself 99.9% of the time. It looks simple enough, but I wonder how much trial and error there is to get it perfect. Without a dyno, or access to plenty of clear and (cop free) roads to run at WOT off and on.

Have you burned your own? How many times did it take to get it right? Most companies now like TPiS will allow for upgrades and changes to the proms after first becoming a customer. They said they can fix my "pump shot" mode pretty easy with some basic e-prom tuning.

I have bought JET chips before and been happy with them.

Never heard of the one mentioned here in this thread, so I have no experience with them. How does the TPiS price stack up against theirs?

Re: Burn your own

69MyWay said:
Jeff,

I checked out the link on your site to burn your own chips. I found out that the speed density cars have a problem with the "pump shot" mode on modified engines. I have been having a once in a while problem (while autocrossing) where I pump the throttle and get a back fire through the intake, then feather in and go like the wind. I have stock chip. The TPiS chip is about $570 and I have to start at a stage 6 because of the miniram, heads, cam, headers etc.

Anyway, I get nervous about buring my own even though I am Mr. Do it Myself 99.9% of the time. It looks simple enough, but I wonder how much trial and error there is to get it perfect. Without a dyno, or access to plenty of clear and (cop free) roads to run at WOT off and on.

Have you burned your own? How many times did it take to get it right? Most companies now like TPiS will allow for upgrades and changes to the proms after first becoming a customer. They said they can fix my "pump shot" mode pretty easy with some basic e-prom tuning.

I have bought JET chips before and been happy with them.

Never heard of the one mentioned here in this thread, so I have no experience with them. How does the TPiS price stack up against theirs?

69Myway,

Formato use to supply TPiS and/or LPE with their PROMs from what I recall. I do believe Formato does not anymore. Anyway. I bought a Formato PROM and had it redone twice. the last time was for the Miniram, but when I loaded it into my PC to check it out.. it still had the STOCK injector constant (I had 24# SVOs) so my car ran real rich. I have been tuning on the 165 (MAF) system over the past year. I never got a chance to get some WOT passes stored on my Ease Software, but I nailed down the around town Cruising at a BLM of 128.. which is perfect (no adding or removing of Fuel).

I am midway through not only converting to Speed Density but also changing to the 91 Dash (READ= HUGE Amount of Work) Once I am ready to start the car, I will start the process of tuning, yes there will be quite a few burns to get it right. I will start out with the injector set at 32# ( I am running 30# SVO's now), disable the EGR and go from there.

With my Formato PROM I had upgraded last year, I needed to change the injector value to lean it back to the right setting and also had to adjust the MAF Scalar tables to compensate for idle and such. I also needed to add RPM when the A/C kicked on otherwise the car would die
There will be a bunch of Trial and error. but once done it is the gratification of getting it near perfect. Hope this helps a little.

Jeff

:confused This sounds like it is going to be the most confusing part of my build guys. I am not a DIY'er, especially when it comes to something like that, so how should I approach my PROM make-up? It's gonna be a different burn than you guys because there will be no emissions equipment to deal with on mine. ;)

_ken :w

Ken said:
:confused This sounds like it is going to be the most confusing part of my build guys. I am not a DIY'er, especially when it comes to something like that, so how should I approach my PROM make-up? It's gonna be a different burn than you guys because there will be no emissions equipment to deal with on mine. ;)

Ken,

On my 89 I have no AIR pump, NO EGR, No Emissions stuff I have a good Basic PROM file for a MAF set-up which I guess you would be running in your 87, unless you switched to the Speed Density.

I think my PROM would be a good start for you motor

Jeff

Ken said:
Jeff, have you followed My Engine Project... at all? If so, do you still think your PROM will work in my build? I'll be over 530 hp at the flywheel. ;)

Ken,

No, I have not looked at that thread, but did see you engine specs on your webpage. I think my PROM would be a good base to start from or you could buy a Formato PROM and tweak it yourself to fit the motor. Either way I honestly think that working on your own PROMs will be the best..

Check out www.thirdgen.org they have a forum for ECM/PROM burning.. alot of good info sinec the 3rd gen F-bodies share the same ECM.

Also www.diy-efi.org www.corvetteforum.com has a ECM/Tuning section.

if you want to buy a Spare Memcal for you car and send it to me, I would be more then happy to set it up with my BIN file. you will then have to use Diacon/Ease or the likes to get some info and tune the PROM a bit more.

Hope this helps

Also I don't mean to sound like TPiS, Formato, LPE, and Ed Wright don't know what they are doing, because they do know. I mean the Late Jim Formato would drive to the track in his C4 run 10's and drive it back home, SO these tuners Know exactly what they are doing, but with anybody you give then all your info and they set-up the PROM to what they think everything should be and will typically tune a PROM on the rich side so it is not too lean. This is why having them near to Dynotune or having some Diacom runs is the best way to Burn a PROM. Maybe one of the Tuners would be willing to burn you a PROM.. then you take readings.. send it back and forth while they make tweaks to get it right.

In fact on my PROM. I tweaked the fuel but kept the Formato timing curves. and WOT I am running around 38 deg of advance NO KNOCK.

Jeff

Yeah, my original intention was to just have TPISpecialties burn a Level VI chip for me, seeing as how I'm using their Mini-Ram and headers, and I still think that's probably best. I won't have access to a dynomometer to experiment with, so it's gonna have to be "street dyno'ed" at first. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom