Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Found Abandonded Vette, How to find Owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!!

Crime-ees Mate :eek: That must'a been a real WHOPPER!! I wonder if The Croc Hunter
is for rent? Sounds like you could use some varment removal in that barn. I was poking
around down Bahi Honda Key one time and I swear I saw a spider WALKING a small dog.
They do grow'em big down thar. I got a JR Terrier that'll take care of the rats for ya. You're
on your own for the bugs and the rattlers.

Good Luck Sean. Whatever looks too easy usually isn't. Keep the story coming.

......... Nut

To keep you updated on this saga..

Found the tax records and name of the person. Tried the phone book..no luck. Mailed a letter off to him/her wih my personal 1-800 # for him to call. No response. Got smart and mailed a SASE with delivery conformation. It was delivered the other day so I'm just waiting for a response. It's so easy for the owener to simpy write yes or no on the envelope and drop it in the mail. My money is on he/she doesn't :mad:

So what posses people to allow a classic car like that to rot away when I'm sure they have had numerous request to buy it. You'd think that even if it had senimental value after 35+ years they be willing to let it go..

OK rant over...hopefully this has a happy ending.

Sean

Sean,

The trailer is on standby. If you can swing it somehow I found you a 69 Big Block Coupe, needs some work but from what my buddy told me it's not bad. A woman was driving it to the show and we think there may be some legal trouble and they need cash. Asking 13K but I bet you could get that lower.

If that guy doesn't respond let's drive to his house with Charlie, that should get a reply from him. ;)

Um.. officer I don't know anything about that stolen vette... what trailer...;)

Oh man... 69 big block...The problem is I have a few of my own legal problems right now. If I don't pay the tax man his share I'll go to jail... I guess we all have that problem:(

I doubt I'll be able to swing anything close to that right now. Maybe in a few months. See you around Scott.

Sean

ESP?

Sean,

I was just wondering where you stood with your treasure hunt locating the owner. Keep it at. You may still have the find of the year. Regarding BB 69's, I've got a line on a '69 - 427/390 all num's matching Conv that needs some work up in Delaware. Asking 13K. Haven't warmed up the Mrs. on the idea yet... not likely to anytime soon either. Darn shame too, It's a steal at 13K. Some days are diamonds.....some days are stones.

Keep the story coming.......... Nut

Yahoo!!! (not the website)

He finally called!!! :J I was out of town for the last few days and when I got back my machine had a nice message for me. He left his # and I will be calling this evening.

He sounded pretty receptive on the phone. Any guesses how much he'll be asking? I'm guessing $7-9k (which of course is ridiculous) but that's my hunch. Let's see who can get closest

Sean

My guess is

$4,000 to $5,000
BudD
:w

COME ON DOWN......

You are the next contestant on The Price is Right!

I showed Hubby this thread, and he wants his guess to be $7500.

I am hoping you're given the Deal of the Century! My bid is $1.00!

Silver

guess?

My guess is $6427.58.

Tom

Guessing Game

A shot in the dark guess $5000.

Just saw a BB-69 4-speed with 61k miles in Tampa for $30,000. Beautiful! I pass. I'll have to find a workable C3 and build my own. Still looking and looking and......

Waiting to hear about the deal of the decade.

Curses! Foiled again!

Shoot Max,
How can we top that!!!!!! :cry

Silver

The jury is in...sort of...

I called him last night and got some more info. It's actually a 67 (boy I missed that by a few years). It's a smallblock with intake and carb missing. It hasn't been started in over 5 years and has been sitting for 10. One window has been rolled down for who knows how long and the other is busted out. (hence the interior is shot) It had a 4-speed but someone stole it years ago. OK Scott, where were you and that trailer 5-10 years ago? :eek Just kidding...

I asked what he wanted out of it and he said I'd have to make an offer. So that's not much help.

Since this is not really one of the years I was looking for my intent would be to get it cheap and sell it to help my quest for a chrome bumper C3.

So now we change the subject a bit. What should I offer to allow me to resell for a bit more. Or, is there anyone out there who is desperately in love with the 67? If I pass on this and if you ask really nice I'd be willing to give someone the info ... or maybe you trade me the phone # for an early C3 :) No? Well it was worth a shot.

I'm thinking I'd offer no more than $1-1.5k. Your thoughts..

BTW.. thanks for all of your responses and help on this..

BUMMER!!!!! :cry

Is there anything worth saving? Be careful and don't get in too deep. $500.00 might be enough by the sound.

Dale

Sticking to my guns...

Hmmm.....

Half an engine that has sat for 10 years.
No transmission.
Shot interior.
I still say $1.00!

Is the body at least in great shape? This sounds like a salvage job to me...I wouldn't put very much into it, and I have a feeling the owner is not going to get what he thinks out of it.
There's a tendency to offer high...DON'T! The owner knows he won't get what he'd like, that is why he is leaving it to you...hoping you'll think him offended if you offer too low!
Do some reserach...get out the catalogs!...price everything....interior, drivetrain parts, obvious repairs and not so obvious repairs (weatherstripping, bushings, etc..)...then add about 10% for miscellaneous expenses...more also to account for labor costs. Write everything down and maybe use two columns for two catalog's prices...use this to show the owner how much you'd need to spend on this half-Corvette to make it road worthy.
Price also, 67 'Vettes' current market value in conditions varying from immaculate to needs lots of work...
Compare the figures of what it will cost in repairs before you can sell it at whatever price and use this as a base for your offer.
Overall, I would not reccomend purchasing this car. You do not sound prepared to perform the major amount of repairs needed, and it is not the particular year you want. What you want will come along, and you'll know it when you see it!
Silver

My opinion

Before you offer him money you need to know a few things. You might get dirty and you will have to de-snake the car. Ask him if you can pull it out of the garage to inspect it. You can always push it back in and go home.

1. Does the ser # on the rt front block pad match the car?

2. Has the body been busted and patched or is it solid and straight?

3. Are all of the hard parts there, other than the intake, carb and trans?

4. What are the options? (p/s, p/b, A/C, hardtop ect.)

5. Has the car been modified in body or mechanically?

I can't imagine why anyone would swipe an iron intake so there is a real possibility that this car is a 327/350hp which, by the way, was the most popular engine in '67. The intake, carb and trans aren't that hard to come by. Any restoration of a mid year is going to require a complete interior replacement/restoration so that becomes a non-issue except for bargaining purposes. Options become a plus. Being a FL car, it might have A/C. Very hot with restorers.

Bottom line. If it is solid/straight, correct engine, optioned, and fairly complete other than the aforementioned items I would say you have an excellent restoration project car there. Offer low and work up. With the condition of this car I think it would be impossible to insult this guy. Don't worry about it.

What to do with this car? Well, it isn't what you want so the answer is nothing. Clean it thoroughly so the NCRS guys that will come to look at it can see all the things they need to see and that's it. Take the money and look for that chrome bumper Shark.

As to true value, '67 is one of , if not the most popular year with restorers/collectors. Especially optioned cars. If it is mostly complete. correct engine, straight and solid you should be able to get 5 figures for it as a project car. Keep in mind that $50,000. for a frame off NCRS quality restoration is not uncommon.

Check the ads. You won't find a cheap '67 in any condition, except totally destroyed. If anybody finds an ad for a '67 project car that is a good straight start for much under $8-10,000 I would like to see it posted on this forum.

Just my opinion.
Tom

cant imagine

This story has kept me really intrested, If I had the cash I'd swap a C3 for it, but can't afford getting mine the way I want it. Vetting is exspensive, geeesh!!!!
Keep us updated, post a pic of it!

BBB454, Think you better leave your honey under lock and key or you could find a bright yellow 74 parked in it's spot, AWESOME car! Wife says "you love your car more than me", when she saw yours I thought she was in love, real eye catcher!

Wamp '74:cool :cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom