Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Found some tires!

Funny

That's who I've been talking to and he did not call me back today. Thiinking about going to Tire Hut and getting the Eagle HP's.

Thanks Carlo, I'm sure he'll call me on Monday. A friend with a C-5 had sent me to him as well so he must be decent.

By the way, in case you haven't found it yet, try the Tower Shops south of I595 and University on Friday nights. Few hundred cars usually show up.

BullWinkle said:
Choosing the right tires is such a tricky thing. You really have to just rely on others feedback...

How true! I've purchased 3 sets from Tire Rack and each time I've used their customer survey ratings section as a tool to tell me which ones would be best. So far, fellow drivers have never steered me wrong. Next time your at Tire Rack, check out the reviews and complete one yourself on the tires you're riding on.

71Shark - so share the good news - you didn'y say what tires you are currently running that you are so happy with. In some cases Tire Rack only had reviews from two C4 owners, the rest were OTV's (Other Than Vettes). What rolls well on them may not translate the same on a Corvette although I certainly would not ignore their remarks. :eyerole

jjones said:
71Shark - so share the good news - you didn'y say what tires you are currently running that you are so happy with.... :eyerole

Sorry but I don't think my tire choice is going to help since I drive a 71 but here goes anyhow - Firestone Firehawk SS20. They don't even make these in C4 sizes but they sure do a heck of a job on my 71:).

- Eric

I did read some reviews for the 275 40ZR17's and they said that the traction was excellent in the rain, etc... But then I noticed that they were on a Lexus. I know that the tires will react different from different cars to different cars. Of course he'll have excellent traction with that FWD Lexus. That's why I'm asking my fellow brothers and sisters!

Lexus owners!!?!

A lexus owner! Sheesh! We all know that all lexus owners are notorious liars and profligates. :L

JJ, if I remember right the only thing east of I-95 is the Atlantic Ocean! While I've driven on the beach at Daytona, I couldn't get into 3rd gear without takeing out a few beachgoers (not a bad idea really :D).

Carlo, are we tired of the snowbirds going around the world making all left turns (or just forgetting to turn off the signal)? I didn't realize you were a NewYorker...foggedabowdid!

Back on topic...I got a coupla Bridgestones on the back and a couplea Defenders on the front. (255-50v16) I would rather have a matched set all around, but the defenders handle pretty well in the weather (I don't know about snow as she stays parked in bad weather). I'm gonna go 17" when I blow these out, but at the rate I'm goin I might get a newer vette before I change tires.

Well I'm gonna speak up for the Firestone Firehawk SZ50. I saw a number of good reviews from other C4 owners before I got mine. I replaced the factory GSCs with them.
I now have 10K miles on them. They still look great. They handle almost as well in the rain as they do in the dry. Excellent tire. Because I have 275/40 all the way around I can rotate them so the wear is nice and even.
If you look on the Tire Rack you'll find they have a very good rating. For Dry/Wet, Wear, Noise, and would you buy again. I have to agree. They are considerably more quiet than the GSCs. They don't wander anywhere near as bad as the GSCs either.
I ended up getting them at a local Firestone shop because he beat the price Tire Rack wanted (including shipping).
Graham

Wow, looks like you got a great deal. But I'm kind of weary of Firestones. I've been kind of paranoid against them ever since the Ford Exploder thing.:hb

Bullwinkle,
I hear ya. But I have yet to find anyone running the Firehawks complain about a blowout, tread seperation or anything nasty. I think to ignore the whole Firestone line because of the Exploder business questionable.
I checked my paperwork and actually have closer to 15K on them. They are good from a standstill also. They spin and squeel a little and then just bite. I've had the car up to almost 150 for a stretch. No problems. Haven't done any autox with them but have pushed them hard on some back roads.
I trust them and feel quite comfortable with them. The only part I haven't figured out is where the breaking point is under hard cornering. I guess I don't push hard enough ;)
I have one complaint. When it's cold in the morning, like 30-40, it does take a bit for the tires to warm. When they are that cold they run a little hard. About 10mi or so and they are fine. Just don't fool around with stone cold tires.
Graham

Ok tires....

Firestone Sz50, A good friend ran them on a modified cobra. He said they were almost as good in the wet as they were on the dry. On dry stuff they were excellent. He has been trying to talk me into a set.

I have heard from others that they are a great tire.

Falcon. I am running them now. Not bad at all. Noise is no worse than the Gs-C's I had on before. A local corvette shop recommends them. I have a hard time contesting the cold issue right now, since when I drive to work, I am lucky if it is above freezing. Still the tires do ok with that.

Speaking of GS-C's, the run like marbles when the tread gets low. I had a hard time keeping the tail in the back. When they had more tread, I had them up to 150 a couple times no problem.

General XP2000. HMMMM...unless you really need that tire for some reason, don't bother. When I took them off and put on the GY GS-C's, It turned my vette back into a sports car.

jj, you think you have a hard time with tire selection, try and find winter tires!

-MIke

One thing that I've noticed, at least online wise, is that the prices of tires seem to be changing constantly.

I just saw those GY GS-C's for $168 today, compared to $198 a week ago. I think $168 is a pretty good price. I'm going to get a new set in the spring and now the problem is really where to get them mounted, balanced, aligned at...

firestone tires

For what is worth: I have had Firestone Firehawks for over a year now. The are wearing very well and I feel that they are equal to, if not better than, the Goodyear's they replaced, and they were less expensive. Firestone has been in business for a very long time and with the exception of this debacle with the Explorer, they produce a superior product, in my opinion. Having said that I would agree that they tend to ride a little rough until they warm up, as do most other brands as well.

FWIW, I have SZ50's on an '85 Z51, and they're ok, but not great. The steering's less precise than the old Gatorbacks, and the front end lags behind the wheel a tenth of a second or two. The Gatorbacks responded immediately. The Firestone's tread is also usually almost an inch narrower than the competition, and that could be part of the problem. Check the specs to avoid surprises.

I had Michelin Z4's on for a couple of days and they were even more imprecise and slow to respond.

If anybody knows something that'll actually make the old Z51's work like they used to, I'd like to know about it. I'll probably try some S03's next. If they don't work, I'll probably get a different car. This one's no fun anymore.

FWIW, other tires had worse safety records on Explorers than the Firestones. Wonder why the media didn't publicize that?

FYI

This was getting confusing so I charted what I believe to be the various opinions. And this is very unscientific so don't write me back nasty messages that I misinterpreted your comments. Just add a post- I'm kinda sensitive that way!

Goodyear:
For - BullWinkle; vigman, Vetsvette, LT1Vettepilot
Against - Newbie

Kuhmos:
For - Newbie
Against - Stommer

Falken:
For - Topless
Against - LT1Vettepilot

Firestone: (Watch this company for possible bankruptcy)
For - 71Shark, vms4evr, Ron
Against - BullWinkle

Dunlop:
For - Vetsvette, c4ever
Against-

Somewhere Out in Left Field:
Drewser

At this point, it looks like the membership is leaning towards Goodyear with Firestone as a strong second. Hope this helps you, it is certainly pushing me back toward my original choice -the Eagle HPs. :crazy

What is the difference between the HP's and GSC's anyways? I have noticed that there is somewhat of a price difference. They're both ZR rated though and both GY's.

The GSC's are being discontinued and being replaced by the HP's. That's why it you wait until spring you may not be able to find any GSC's and if you do at who knows what price.

jj

Somewhere Out in Left Field:
Drewser
:L :L
I've seen a lot of tire tests, comparing many different models of many different brands. On the road, in the canyons and on the track were the tests the tires had to endure. Perfromance evaluation was the prime concern. Unfortunately, these tests took place in an unbiased motorcycle magazine, which helps no one here, unless you own a crotch rocket. So can anyone explain why the leading car mags can't do a decent test? Surely they have more money and resources? Perhaps, car magazine testers are afraid of getting their driving gloves dirty. :eyerole

--Bullitt

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom