Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Found some tires!

They don't do proper tests because they don't want to alienate their advertisers.

Anybody tried Bridgeston 245/45 S03's or 730's on a Z51? Or even 245/45's of any kind?

-rwd (against SZ50's and Z4's for those who like handling and steering response on an early C4 Z51)

I am just finishing up on my second set of Firestone SZ50's and I couldn't be happier. I'm constantly diving into the inside corners from the outside on those on-ramps. :_rock Always a thrill! :D

And remember: If you drive in the rain - Always have a full tank! :bang

The Firehawks are fine, there are no problems with them!

Sorry rwd, didn't mean to leave you out but I couldn't quite make out your position. Now we know where you stand on the Firestones but it looks like MrZ06 has just cancelled that vote out!

jj

Re: FYI

jjones said:
Somewhere Out in Left Field: Drewser
HEY--I resemble that remark! :t

I do have a tire prefference. Metzler ME1 Comp K. No wait...that is on my Ninja. Killer tire though. :D Wake me up when you decide which tire is the best.

HP vs GSC

The HP's are directional but symmetrical so they can be installed on right or left side. The GSC's are directional but asymmetrical so you have to order a right and a left side tire. HP's are a lower cost replacement for the GSC's, although you cannot get HP's in the 315 size. (darn it) I have a couple of friends that put HP's on a '96 CE and a '92 Vert and they are happy with them. If anyone is interested I might be able to find a couple of extra discount coupons for Goodyear or Dunlop. :Roll

Finally heard from Dunlop - the 255/45/17's are only available in the 9000 series and the 285/40/17's only in the 8000 series. Dealer said if I picked up any info different than this to let him know. So, this won't work (unless you're Drew). :eyerole

Price on the GY Eagle HP's was $765 out-the-door.

jj

No problem, jjones. I like 'em, and I don't.

The term C4 covers a lot of ground both tire and suspension-wise.

Most of the variance in opinion in this thread is from people comparing different tires with the same name on different cars with the same name. That's comparing apples to Telecasters.

Two different size/profiles of the same tire will react differently on the same car, let alone two different cars.

Maybe a non-stock size would have done what I wanted, who knows. I just know the stock size didn't, and if I had read the comments I made, I wouldn't have bought them. That would have saved me a lot of time and trouble. I also doubt anyone who drove the car would react differently, and that's why I posted.

Bottom-line: if the comments aren't from someone with the exact same car as yours, take them with a grain of salt. And watch the SZ50 tread width. In my profile, the SZ50 treadwidth was 8.1 and the Kumho 712 was 9.3. The o/a width was the same.

rwd makes a good point that i mostly agree with. i've driven an 84 and a 92. they handle differently from my perspective. i thought the 84 was stiffer, it uses 16" wheels with a higher profile tire. they're both Vettes that are fun to drive but you drive them a little differently.

as for the SZ50s being narrower. yes they are. all of an inch narrower than the GSCs they replaced. and they still handle better in dry and especially wet weather. they ride better, are quieter, and don't wander as much. they are not perfect. because i have a 92 all 4 corners are 275/40-17. so if you have a 92 they make a good tire. my friend who has a 93 (stagerred sizes) is also very happy with his SZ50s.

Graham

True Enough

I own an 84 and while the ride is a bit rougher than the 92 I test drove, the 84 also handles a LOT tighter. It is like driving a go cart as opposed to driving...I don't know what but not a go cart.:s Now I've always been a Stratocaster man personally and I don't really like apples, but I can tell the difference. I also think that two different people can drive the same car with the same tires and have two different opinions. FWIW:drink So, in conclusion, you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you should NEVER pick your friends nose.:grinshot

I've got the Z51 package on mine. I'm running 285's on 9.5" wheels in front and 315's on 11" in the back. The only complaint I have with the GSC's is the price. This is my second set and can testify to the fact that new rubber is a different world from a set that is only a year old. Anyway, I'll be going with the Dunlop's in the same sizes, probably this fall.

forget GSC tires

i sell vettes and have had to many to list . never buy the GSCs the car came with they are noisey and wear bad , and forget the price. the Kumho tires are great they wear well and give a much better ride. the dunlops are fine also. i buy wholesale from tire rack and they are a good place to deal with. save your money and forget the oem tires

Drewser makes an excellent point.

I can't speak for 86 and later models, but the original 84 and 85's with the Z51's drove and handled like go-karts. They were the first mass production sportscar to pull 1-g lateral. That's why I bought mine.

The Gatorbacks were designed for the car and, with them, it had the best steering and handling (admittedly sacrificing ride and noise) of any car I've driven- because it didn't handle or drive like a car. It drove like a kart.

Sadly, Gatorbacks are no longer available, and not much is in the original 255/50, so if you didn't have the opportunity to drive one with new Gatorbacks, it's not likely you've experienced what the cars can really do.

I have no experience with the GSC, but I can say that neither the SZ50 or Z4 in the stock 255/50 profile begin to approach the Gatorbacks. They both squirmed and wandered, and in the case of the SZ50, it's possible that part of that may be related to the tread width. Or not, that's only a guess.

Again, I'm only talking 255/50 and 84/85 here. Any of the tires may work great on other vettes, and I hope they do.

In my case, though, it's enough to make me consider getting rid of the car, and if anybody's got kumhos or S03's on an 84/85, please post a review.

...and I'm in a Strat phase right now, btw...

Tires

Bullwinkle, I've been running Kumho's for a while now and I am well satisfied with the performance even up to three digits. However, if your going for the soft sticky rubber look else where. It's a choice based on your driving habits.
Lots of luck

tires

i went to the 500 world of wheels saturday and priced some tires from a place in lafayette , in , i will get the phone number and name of the place and get back with you on it . i was pricing the kumho tires also 255/50zr16 and they wanted $99.00 a piece

hoosier,

Are you talking about the show at the McCormick place? I just got back and there were some beautiful cars there. Seems like they had a thing for the GTO there. They had some beautiful C3's and a couple of C5's. I also saw my first Grand Sport and proclaimed that one day, one of those will be parked in my garage next to the Z06. They also had a few imports there, which made me kind of disappointed because I wanted to see muscle cars.

How far away from IL are you? I'm about 17 miles west of Munster if that gives you any idea where I'm from. Thanks!

Bull,
Lemme stick my nose in here where it don't belong. Shelbyville is southeast of Indianapolis. He is about an hour northwest of ME! I doubt he can see the middle of nowhere from where he is though.:D
--Drew:w

Drewser,

Thanks for letting me know. Indianapolis quite some ways from where I am! Buddy of mine is a cop out in Crown Point and they recently had to do some training in Indianapolis. He said that they took the squad cars and were doing something like 85 all the way from Crown Point to Indianapolis. He said he cut down a lot of travel time LOL.

How does your Borla sound? I'm very tempted to invest in a Borla system! Is it 2.5"? Do you just have the mufflers or the whole cat back?

Badass!

The borla sounds very throaty. Nice sound all in all. It doesn't look like the 2.5 but I'm not sure and it is from the cat-back. It resonated a lot worse before I got the thermomaster chip don't ask me why) and I like to drive around town in 3rd because it sounds better than when in overdrive. Sounds like, "WWWWHHHOOOPPPPPassssssss, WWWWHHHHOOOOPPPPassssssss." :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom