Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

FRAM AIR HOG, is it any good?

nelson84

Corvette
84 Z51 two tone bronze coupe 85 black on black
Is it as good as a K&N?

Who makes the best air filter?

Lots of people use these things and swear by them. I used one and then spent over $400 to have the inlet- air system cleaned of all the oil deposited on the MAF and Throttle plate. But that's just me! So maybe you get lucky and don't have the same problem. Sooner or later you'll have to clean & re-oil the thing. Will you use too much oil...or too little?

A quality OE style filter will do the best job in removing dirt from the airstream. A K&N style filter will provide additional airflow, however, over time will decrease in it's ability to trap dirt and will allow abrasive particles into your engine. Your call.

PS - I'm still checking the muffler numbers.

Worthless.

I have an Air Hog in my 86 and a K&N in my 95. Don't really think I can tell the difference between the two, or if I can tell any difference between them and the paper. No seat of the pants difference that's for sure. I guess it all depends on how you choose to spend your money.

I agree with mcsnagg.... a quality oem filter is the safest, changed every season. end of discussion.

Somewhere on the forum is a link to a study on airfilters. If memory serves me right.The AC actually was better over the full period of use than the K&M .

Glenn
:w

I personally wouldn't spend a penny on anything with FRAM on it. I use a K&N, just because the 84 air filters are getting harder to find (and more expensive all the time). I'm perfectly happy with it.

Bill

In my opinion, ANY brand of washable air filter will contibute to the slow death of an engine from the dirt that gets through the element.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom