Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Frame numbers

M

MichelP

Hey guys,
Got a frame question, how can you tell if a frame is straight?
I mean it's ok to buy a new frame for the car when a body off rebuild is done but how do you check is every bracket or holes are where they are supposed to be?
I can build a table where everything is leveled and sit the frame on it but I would need some specifications
Can originals specifications and tolerance somewhere on the net?
I assume that the frame I bought is straight but I want to check it before I assemble it. I wouldnt want to find out after everything is assemble that something's wrong.

There are several resources which will provide measurements, cross-measurements, etc. Your best bet is to get the AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) for your year from NCRS or other sources. As well, most body shops with a frame machine will have a reference guide with diagrams and measurements for checking accuracy.

Is there anything specific you're interested in checking?

-Mac

ps: hi from another Canadian!!

You'll find a frame diagram with checking dimensions in section 2 (Frame) in the Chassis Service Manual.

:beer

I dont think that something's wrong nor I'm looking for anything in particular. It's just that I was looking at the frame I have, I took it apart and will be sending it to powder coat pretty soon and I was wondering if the thing is straight. Who knows where this thing's coming from since it s not the original frame of the car. The original frame is shot from rust since the car sat in a garage for a long while so I'm replacing it. I spend a lot of time to check if every component that will be rebuilded before I put it back together. ex. check if the diff bearing are ok or if the power steering pump needs a rebuild etc.
I will buy a chassis service manual for sure.
Thanks for the response Johnz and Mac.

Thanks Howard, this is nice. I'll get the tape out again and make myself sure.

At one time, there was a Chassis Restoration Manual on the market. My apologies, but I cannot recall the author's name. I have a copy of the book. It includes Shark frame dimensions. Might be a help if you can find a copy.
;)

Yes youre right Mike, I found the book in Ecklers catalogue 1953 to 1972 chassis restoration guide. by Joseph A. Tropoli jr. and it,s 23.99$ Ecklers part no. 25514
But I checked with Howard measurments and the frame's measurment are pretty close to that. I'll probably get the book later anyway beacuse I might rebuild the original frame after if it's not too far gone. Ill know more when I'll get the body off of it and blast it. Probably next week or the weekend after.
Thanks 6880mike

I picked up a copy of that book, It does have a lot of great reference material such as fastener sizes, torque specs, different chassis components used.
My only complaint is that it is in black/white...I was hoping to be able to see the colors of components. The finishes however are listed in the back of the book.
Still well worth adding to the collection

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom