Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Frame off starting new rebuilt engine.

zies8

Corvette
1974 Red Convertible
I am having trouble getting my car to crank. I have installed all of the wiring with the exception of one yellow wire that is included in the wiring harness on the right side of the engine compartment. This yellow wire is approxomately 1/8th of and inch ( I don't know guaging by sight). The yellow wire that I am referring to is too long to go to the starter. The wiring harness is usually built to within inches of the location of connection but this one is more than a foot too long for logical attachment to the starter. "help on this please". ;shrug
My restoration included a new starter that was faulty from checker I reinstalled it and still no crank. ;shrug
Do I need to install the seatbelt interlock system to get the system to work?
My steering column could be the problem too I guess. The ignition key will not turn back far enough to let the key come out of the ignition switch. The shifter on the automatic is in park but the key will not turn back and therefore come out.
Any help would be appreciated......;help

............................Mike in Utah

the key not coming out is a common problem, reach down to the bottom of the steering column and wiggle/turn the outer casing until you can remove the key.
best bet is to get a factory AIM manual especially if you are doing a restore.

Hey Mike, my '74 is a manual so I have a switch that is operated by the clutch. Also on the firewall passenger side there is a relay that needs to be connected.
I'm not at home and can't remember how this is routed. I'm sure another member could point this out. If not let me know and I'll help as much as I'm able.

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom