Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

FrankenSport - 81 - Lots of pics

78Vette-SA

Corvette
63/72/98
Haven't been by here in a while but doing some catching up. Got my car out of storage and back on the road today and it's also (excuse the shameless plug) the cover car for this months Corvette Enthusiast. We did a photo shoot with Bill Erdman the end of last year and thought I'd post a few along with pics I took while building the car (many more on my website). I posted these elsewhere (so most may be bored) ;) but was browsing through here and catching up and decided to post some.

Although I original built the car as sort of a business promotion idea I'm back in the hobby world, not the business world, and keeping the car for now. I'll also be at Carlisle where the car, along with some incredible C1 and C2 Vette Rods, will be displayed in the Chip's Choice area.

There are some incredible C3's on this forum. I was just scanning back through the pic post all the way back to 2004. I love them all but C3's (Chrome AND rubber bumpers) are my favorites. I built what at the time was my own version of the ultimate C3. I've done a couple of Top-Flight "correct" cars but had a lot of fun with this one.

fsfrontpage.jpg

Includes:
  • SRIII Motorsports Tube Frame Chassis
  • Late model C4 Z51 Front Suspension with Rack & Pinion Steering
  • Late model C4 Dana 44 Rear and suspension with 3.90 Gears
  • QA1 CoilOver adjustable shocks all around
  • LS6 (Z06) Engine with Heads, Cam, and Supercharger!
  • 6 Speed T56 Transmission
Before:

c3gs2.jpg

c3gs10.jpg

c3gs5.jpg

During:

body1.jpg

c3gs-112506j.jpg

c3gs-120706g.jpg

c3gs-121306b.jpg

c3gs-121106a.jpg

c3gs113006e.jpg

clear%206.jpg

After - all by Bill Erdman:

fs-be-12.jpg

fs-be-11.jpg

fs-be-20.jpg

fs-be-15.jpg

fs-be-8.jpg

fs-be-2.jpg

fs-be-4.jpg

fs-be-16.jpg

WOW !!

"VeryBadd" :D

Looks very cool.. Excuse my ignorance, but what are the loops for on the underside?

:w
-Stefan

WOW !!

"VeryBadd" :D

Looks very cool.. Excuse my ignorance, but what are the loops for on the underside?

:w
-Stefan

Thanks...

The loops were for the gas tank straps. I originally had it set up like a stock tank and those loops actually pointed upwards. I decided to bolt the tank in and just flipped the bar I made upside down. Just never bothered to cut them off. Suppose I should. :bash

Thanks again...

WOW!

That is one fantastic transformation! Give yourself a pat on the back and 5 stars for doing such a wonderfull conversion, I'm green with envy, Well done, PG.

Damn!! Looks great! It's like a C-3 version of a Z16. Tasteful. I wouldn't have done anything different myself. Had it dyno'd yet?

-Tatortot

Damn!! Looks great! It's like a C-3 version of a Z16. Tasteful. I wouldn't have done anything different myself. Had it dyno'd yet?

-Tatortot

Thanks all...

No dyno or 1/4mile yet. Finished it in the fall and drove it out to the photo shoot and took it to a couple of shows then put it away for the lousy winter here in NY. Actually just pulled it out and fired it up Sunday. Have a few things I want to do to it and then hope to get it to a Dyno so I can do some wide open tuning.

Awesome!
What color blue did you use?
And tell me about the side pipes! Those don't look like the usual Hooker 4" that I typically see.

Gonna make it to CruiseFest??

Thanks. The color is C6 Lemans Blue. The headers and sidepipes were customer built for me by Stainless Works. They have several styles to choce fromm with different ends and baffling. I provided the measurements and they made them up. I made my own mounts for the sidepipes after doing a little trimming on the rockers.

For the headers they even sent a pattern set to test with (with a deposit of course) in case we needed to modify anything. They fit on the first try.

c3gs113006c.jpg

c3gs113006d.jpg

Altogether the headers and sidepipes came to about $1700. They have a nice rumble to them.

I doubt I'll make Cruisefest but will be at Carlisle. Thanks again.

Cool.

...man, that's a tight setup! :upthumbs again!

I just finished reading that article in CE,and enjoyed it. (nice license plate).

Look forward to seeing the car at Carlisle this year.

Are you going to have it parked over in the corral?

Ken

Thanks much.

The car was selected for the Chip's Choice display along with some incredible "Vette Rods" as they are calling them. I believe it will be an indoor display as in prior years but I won't know until I get there.

Joe..

Inspiring Vette

Thanks Joe for posting all the pics. I hope you don't mind.... I used a few pics from your website and made a desktop pic to keep me insrpired.
When I get home I'll post it here if it's ok with you.
See you at Carlisle.:D

Phenomenal!! What a wonderful project and your website documentation is informative and gets those creative juices flowing... I'd better go take a nap or I'll want to start ripping my Vette apart again...:chuckle

-Mac

Wow!

Outstanding style and results!

The nickname "FrankenSports" is pretty cool; however, this Vette does represent the mythological "Phoenix" for the sun bird reborn from the ashes....literaly!!!!

Great work! You ought to write up a how-to book and sell it to those of us late C-3 owners who appreciate originality but still think that the manufacturer did not do it all the right way and lean to wards modifications!!!

Oh Yea that got the old heart pump'n SWEET!!

Bud

Joe,

Thanks for the video. That's one brutal machine! It kind of reminds me of a late C3 model version of Killer (an early C3 version of what you did to yours). Congrats! I hope you attend next CruiseFest, so that I can take peek to your Vette closer. :thumb

GerryLP:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom