Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front bumper 1984

robertha

Corvette
1984 coupe
Can anyone tell my what is required when replacing the front bumper on my 84. I find the fit too tight and it almost feels like something needs to be taken apart or removed in order to get this piece on. I was thinking that the top rail that the bumper screws to could be removed and then replaced but there are several rivited sections. I also was thinking about the inner bumper/ shock bumper could be removed and the bumper placed on it and then bolt the whole thing back on. I am stumped and I really do not want to force anything on since it has a new paint job, and the bumper is also brand new. Thanks for all your help.

• Raise the hood to gain working clearance.
  • Disconnect battery ground cable
  • Disconnect bulbs from parking lamps and side marker lamps
  • Remove wheelhouse seal from upper edge of fascia and remove 4 screws each side
  • Remove 12 screws attaching top of fascia to impact bar reinforcement
  • Remove 4 screw attaching rear vertical edge to splash shield (Each side) and 2 upper inner screws attaching fascia to support.
  • Raise vehicle; remove four screws each side attaching fascia t outer air dams.
  • Remove 4 screws attaching fascia to lower edge of impact bar.
  • Remove screw attaching fascia to skid plate
  • Lower vehicle remove fascia from vehicle by lifting upper edge of fascia away from reinforcement and at the same time rotating fascia downward. For fascia molding removal and attachment.

the fascia. is that the front portion that has the rail on top that the bumper attaches to?

What we call front or rear fascia is the front or rear bumper.

I took a few pics for you.

C4FrontBumper.jpg

C4FrontBumper1.jpg

C4FrontBumper2.jpg

it seems that the inside of the fascia where it bolts to the reinforvement bar that I can not get it to fit over that, it is to tight. I was thinking that if i removed the whole impact bar that would alow me to get the fascia on without forcing it on. I can not remember it being that difficult to take the old one off but that has been about 3 years ago too

I need that book you have where do i get one?

This is a very good idea. I struggle to repair my C3s. But C3 were easier to fix. I got my C4 10 years ago. I was in an apartment downtown Montreal with no garage. And it was my daily driver all year around. And to add, no money to bring it to the garage for repair. And at that time there was no internet. The Manual was my Bible. Now that I made all of you cry…..

You can get the manual at Ken McGee Holdings Inc. Original automotive literature & collectible cars.

(519) 524-5821 email kenmcgeebooks@hurontel.on.ca

it seems that the inside of the fascia where it bolts to the reinforvement bar that I can not get it to fit over that, it is to tight. I was thinking that if i removed the whole impact bar that would alow me to get the fascia on without forcing it on. I can not remember it being that difficult to take the old one off but that has been about 3 years ago too

I changed about every mechanical part on my C4. She is 300,000 old…. But I cannot answer your question. I never removed the front or rear bumper.

Yes, installing the front fascia is a real bear! I hope your paint shop used a "flex additive" when they painted it, because the plastic needs to stretch some to go on. Hook the top of the fascia over the framework, get it centered, and then work the fascia down into place, paying attention to stress points around the driving lights. It takes some patience, and it will seem to be too tight, but it will go on! To install the small bolts along the top of the fascia, prop the hood half way open to gain some room in this tight spot. (I've had mine off twice)

I don't have a clue how the Chevy engineers figured out how to build such a complicated part!!

:w S.T.W.

Houston " We have lift off"

Dear Hot Rod Roy,

You gave me just enough courage to put that bumper on by myself. I took my small radiator heater in the garage and hung my bumper over it for about 1 hour. That was long enough to get the thing to become very pliable ( might need spell check on that). It was very easy once it was no longer stiff. I first placed the inner lip over the top retainer and slowly pressed down to get it to fit over the bottom half of the impact area and to fit over the fog lights properly. Again thanks for the encouragement to keep trying and not do anything stupid.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom