Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front-End Vibration

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Lately, I've noticed the outer edge of my left front tire is starting to wear badly and there is a fair amount of vibration in the steering wheel between 65 and 85 mph.

Originally I thought I might have lost a wheel weight, but now I'm not sure. I took the car out quickly on Sat. and was only driving for about 5 minutes when I turned around and put back in the garage. The steering actually feels loose or light. Any ideas what this could be?

I haven't had a chance to bring it to the dealer yet as the weather in the DC Metro area hasn't exactly been cooperative.

I'm running BF Goodrich Comp TAs which are about 5 years old. I plan on purchasing new tires at some point.

When I replaced my originals for some Sumitomos I got a vibration only at 65 to 80 also. the tire store redid the balance job and that straightened it out. They did tell me that it is possible that the balance will change on a new tire (slip at bead, Initial wear). Also they said don't wait if the balance goes out, it could be tread separation on an older tire.

Tire wear requires an alignment. Vibration requires wheel/tire balance. Check ball joints, wheel bearings, and tie rods first. This is easy to do. I mark my tires and wheels on the inside for any sign of slip between the two. All wheel weights get marked with black marker and then glued with bead of silicone around edges (stick on weights). I recently lost a weight at Watkins Glen. I had a slight vib above 80 mph. I used a spare weight and glued them in place for the second days event.
Mike

I drive a 3/4 dirt road every day (up an back) and can tell you that on occassion enough dirt either in the wheel or on the tire will cause a vibration. this happens more at slow speeds. but to clarify mk is correct excessive wear does not occur from balance but alignment. However a belt in the tire has broken it would cause a vibration and wear.

I had a tire belt failure recently (9/02) at Lime Rock Park CT. I was doing 120 mph down the main straight when the belt went. The right rear tire came 3" off the ground according to fellow Corvette driver behind me at the time. After inspection, the right half of the tire tread had a spot that was swollen out about 1/2".
Mike

EGAD! I hope that doesn't happen to me. I bet you had to replace more than just the tire, like underwear? :bow

rob,

I had tire shake with the TA Comps that I could not get rid of.

Joe Malo and company balanced the tires and used weights on the outside of the rim which really helped, but these tires always gave me some trouble and never drove completely smoot. always had some vibration in the 60-65 range, at one point it was so bad I thought I had a flat or serious problem as the wheel was really shaking back and forth badly.

I now have the big 18" mich pilots on the LPE car and the GSCs on my other ZR1 (DRM) and the cars ride much better. you may have a bad tire, separation, balance, bent rim, who knows!!

with the big meats, a competent tire guy is what you need.

I think Quality Tire in Rockville has a hunter and an "on car" balance setup and some other high tech equipment to help pinpoint the problem. a few folks have used them and they take the time to do it right. not cheap, but they can find the problem.

more than a few of us have been through this with the Comps, great tire, but they seem to have more vibes than some others I've used.

Interesting. Someone else told me to check for belt separation by examining the tire, but it appears normal other than the wear.

I just need to bring the car to Joe Malo and have him look at it....once this damn weather clears up long enough. :)

Rob said:
Interesting. Someone else told me to check for belt separation by examining the tire, but it appears normal other than the wear.

I just need to bring the car to Joe Malo and have him look at it....once this damn weather clears up long enough. :)

AHHHHHHHH!

To live in south Florida...chicks in thongs...winter temps in the frigid 60's...and oh yea...you never have to put up your Beast.

:J

Sorry for that I just had to rub it in a little.

P.S. And I forgot, no state taxes.

Enjoy the winter as I work on my tan!:bu

rob, we need to get together again soon. Us NOVA zr1 guys need to stick together!!! what's up with the new gooney bird avatar. they crack me up!!

not sure joe would be the best for tires, I would try quality tire in rockville.

but joe certainly does great work for zr1s. hes in charge of the mechanics out there now. I really trust him and he's never done me wrong!!! I will be taking my car out for some fixes this saturday.

if you decide to go, let me know and we can hook up.

cya.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom