Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

front licence plate cover ?

fatbloke-dim

Corvette
93 'vert,bright aqua,lt-1
Does anyone know how those clear , flush-fit front licence plate covers fit ? I reckon there's tabs to go into the slots present on the underside of the top lip of the plate recess ,but how's about at the bottom ? The reason I ask is ,I may fit one if it can co-exist with the compulsory front number/licence plate we have here in Limey-Land . I can see no slots for tabs , etc. on the lower lip of the aperture ,but do they make use of the plate mounting bolts at all ? If that be the case ,it likely won't work with the bolts as they are on the U.K. plate as they are in a different location due to the "regulation" size of plate . Any ideas ,anyone fitted one ?

What you have already, looks good to me. Cant you use a piece of clear perspex, cut to size and, held on by the two existing screws ? Is the front plate regulation ? I imagine, the constabulary aren't too bothered about the size of the front, as long as the rear one is legal. My '65 'E-Type' had no provision at all, for a front plate, so it sported a rear one, horizontally mounted to the top front of the bonnet.... Here's hoping my team, Crystal Palace, Get to play yours, United or City, next season.......Roger.

As regards the constabulary......you likely won't be surprised they can get a bit "arsey" about regulation plates , lights, etc. The plate thing even more so nowadays , as revenue from enforcement cameras for all kinds of things is such a big earner .$$$$$$$. A lot of these cameras are automatic ,you don't know you've been "had" until a fine drops on your doormat . Not that I give 'em any excuse for anything ,you understand - if you play it their way , they can't nail you . The front late is kinda regulation , in so far as letter size and spacing goes , if they wanted they could try and have a go at the size of the plate overall ,as you'll no doubt guess , there's regs for this , too . It was the streamlined flush-fit look I wanted , the plate is well recessed as it is . I don't know if the fixing bolts fitted at present pick up on the factory screw holes or not ,if so , I could maybe still fit one . For what they cost , I'll just order one and see if it goes . Never got around to pulling the plate ,just went for a short drive , as I could'nt resist the sudden appearance of a bit of spring-like weather . As for "my team"......I can't stand football/soccer or whatever you want to call it ,which makes me a member of a very small minority here . Everywhere in the world I go ,everyone asks..."City or United?" when they learn where I hail from ..AAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!:eyerole

All the E-types over here seem to have a self-adhesive plate fitted on a close to horizontal surface near the front of the hood . Not legal by a long shot , but maybe the coppers think , being a Jag ,it's the local Squire or landed gentry ,and don't wish to cause waves !! Never let it be said it's a classless society over here .:mad

Last edited:
revenue from enforcement cameras is such a big earner .$$$$$$$. A lot of these cameras are automatic, you don't know you've been "had" until a fine drops on your doormat.
Another thing Americans share with you. Now, thyey are selling our taxpayer build and paid for highways to private firms, which make the toll roads. Also, I was amazed, last visit to London, how the 'news' was virtually identical to 'ours'.
Never let it be said it's a classless society over here .:mad
We have the same, just don't admit it.

I hear ya,Whale......!

I think they call it "privatisation". They think no-one will notice/care .We already pay a "road tax" to use our pot-holed ,crumbling ,speedbump and traffic-calmed ,excessive one-way ,no-entry "roads" as it is . Currently $330 a year for the 'Vette ,$180 for my daily ,and that's BEFORE the 70-plus percent tax on gas ,tax on insurance, and punitive legislation that makes it an administrative task in itself just to even OWN a bloody car in the first place !:mad Honestly ,I've driven better roads in the outback than we have here . Aye ,it seems the humble motorist is a cash-cow the world over . Just off to my darkened room to lay down 'till my veins in me neck stop throbbing !

I have one on my 1988 35th Anniversary car.
Two tabs on the top, and two phillips screws on the bottom (visible, but not unreasonable).

Jim

As regards the constabulary......you likely won't be surprised they can get a bit "arsey" about regulation plates , lights, etc. The plate thing even more so nowadays , as revenue from enforcement cameras for all kinds of things is such a big earner .$$$$$$$. A lot of these cameras are automatic ,you don't know you've been "had" until a fine drops on your doormat . Not that I give 'em any excuse for anything ,you understand - if you play it their way , they can't nail you . The front late is kinda regulation , in so far as letter size and spacing goes , if they wanted they could try and have a go at the size of the plate overall ,as you'll no doubt guess , there's regs for this , too . It was the streamlined flush-fit look I wanted , the plate is well recessed as it is . I don't know if the fixing bolts fitted at present pick up on the factory screw holes or not ,if so , I could maybe still fit one . For what they cost , I'll just order one and see if it goes . Never got around to pulling the plate ,just went for a short drive , as I could'nt resist the sudden appearance of a bit of spring-like weather . As for "my team"......I can't stand football/soccer or whatever you want to call it ,which makes me a member of a very small minority here . Everywhere in the world I go ,everyone asks..."City or United?" when they learn where I hail from ..AAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!:eyerole

All the E-types over here seem to have a self-adhesive plate fitted on a close to horizontal surface near the front of the hood . Not legal by a long shot , but maybe the coppers think , being a Jag ,it's the local Squire or landed gentry ,and don't wish to cause waves !! Never let it be said it's a classless society over here .:mad

I'm from Purley, a small town, south of Croydon and Crystal Palace were my local team. Whilst the 'Premier' seems, now to be a circus act, the 'Championship' is way more down to earth. It's football, by the way, what else is Manchester known for (rhetorical).......Roger.

Last edited:
Rain , Roger ,rain !
Unless you wany to consider a small detail like being the crucible of the industrial revolution .:chuckle

Apologies for apparently dropping the ball on this thread ,but........just got back from 'Vegas a few hours ago ,with my 'plate cover in tow . It appears I'll maybe need to drill 2 small holes for the screws at the bottom of the number plate , to access the screw holes left in the bumper for them .

I don't want to settle for rain !! Arrived home hoping the weather may have clawed it's way to something lke spring - but no ! It be like bloody November , wet ,windy ,cold . Bugger . It was a bit galling to see a real nice late C4 'vert cruising 'Vegas , whilst I was bussing it , and all the tourists in their rented Camaro and Mustang dropheads . And to really turn the screw , on the way out of the airport in the taxi , a black Camaro 'vert pulled alongside in the traffic jam . One from the local Corvette/ Camaro/Hummer dealers . Tell yer what , tho' ........if it were mine I would'nthave been texting whilst driving such a stand-out car , apart from the risk , it would be a sure way to biff that Camaro up in stop-start conditions like that . Jerk .

I also got me a Hypertech chip ,160 'stat ,seat covers and some service bits from O'Reilly's whilst I was at it . Now.....about that weather !?!?!!

A 160 degree stat is NOT a good idea. You may like to 'search' on that topic here. There's been quite some discourse on the subject and, the conclusions , bear out the logic of the argument. Hope you enjoyed your trip to Vegas.......Roger.

I have to agree a 160 stat is not a good idea. They were back in the day but engines today are different. These engines are designed to run at certain temperatures. Again back in the late 60's to early 70's engines it was the cooler the better. At least that was the way back then for my 70' Cuda with a 383 SC.....

Well , then.......

I got a chance to try the plate cover this week . Needless to say ,it won't fit . It has to be really wailed into position , and then only goes part way home , at great risk of removing paint from the plate aperture . As for getting the supplied screws in ,they are WAY too big in the head ( like me , then ! ) to go in the non-existent space at the lower edge of the cover , and would need to go in at a bizzarre angle . The cover is distorted and warped when pushed in as far as I dare . And , no , the plate aperture is not damaged ,deformed , or otherwise non-standard , either . Looks like another dud piece from Hecklers . Also , the Hypertech chip they sent me had been opened , the original package seal had been cut , and sealed with clear tape ,which itself had been subsequently cut open . I rang them and registered my concern at this , knowing that someone on here had recently returned a dud one to Ecklers . I'll e-mail 'em now , but I doubt they put a note in my "file" as their service rep said they'd do . Watch this space.............

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom