Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

front oil seal leaking

Bill Heygster

Corvette
1985 red coupe, 2004 red coupe
I've noticed a few drops of oil under the front of my motor over the last year or so. Didn't think much about it as I have 147,000 miles on the original motor. Last week there was a small puddle - 6 inches in diameter. First time this ever happened. I drive the car to work a couple times a week, park in the same spot and there is no oil there. I cleaned the floor and put a pan under the spot where the oil was. Nothing for a week. Then this morning there was another puddle. I've driven the car 200 milkes since last week. I popped the hood a noticed the leak was coming from around the front crank seal. It was a steady drip - one drip every minute or so. I backed up the car cleaned up the leaked oil and again placed a pan under the area of the leak and nothing. No leakage in four hours.
Obviously the seal is leaking but is normal for it to not leak all the time? I checked at the local Auto Zone and there are a number of products which specifically state they will stop front and rear oil seal leaks. Barrs Leak is one, Bardahl and Slick 50 have them as well. I'm still using 5w20 oil (not synthetic)
Because of the high mileage should I be using a thicker oil and if so which grade and has anyone used any additives to stop leaky seals?

I know several people who swear by the Lucas Oil products for stopping leaks. I have never had to use it, but I would probably try it based on what I have heard.

oil additives

I know several people who swear by the Lucas Oil products for stopping leaks. I have never had to use it, but I would probably try it based on what I have heard.

Oil stop leak additives only prolong the inevitable. They swell up the seal and sometimes stop the leak. The seal then becomes brittle and leaks worse than ever over time. I would not recommend using an oil additive as a permanet fix. They are temporary, and the best way is to replace the seal with a new one, and possibly sleeve the shaft if it's worn, which it will be for sure if you put an additive in to swell up the seal. If you are going to own a Corvette, take care of it by doing the right thing and replace the seal.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom