Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Plate used?

Do you use a front plate?

• Yes I do

Votes: 146 31.7%
  • I'm a rebel, so nope

Votes: 204 44.3%
  • It's not required in my state

Votes: 111 24.1%

• Total voters
IMHO, front plates ruin the look of ANY car

I got pulled over yesterday for not having a front plate! :mad I've had the car 6 years in 3 different states without EVER putting the front plate on, I'm here 6 months and I get pulled over. HUMPHF. It was totally bogus - 2 motorcycle cops had a speed trap set up, no one was speeding because it was rush hour, so they had to pick on the red Vette.

I tried the innocent new resident/blonde routine so I didn't actually get a ticket, just a summons to appear in court and - get this - show a picture of the car with the front plate on :eyerole and they will dismiss the charge.

How ridiculous.

I got pulled over yesterday for not having a front plate! :mad I've had the car 6 years in 3 different states without EVER putting the front plate on, I'm here 6 months and I get pulled over. HUMPHF. It was totally bogus - 2 motorcycle cops had a speed trap set up, no one was speeding because it was rush hour, so they had to pick on the red Vette.

I tried the innocent new resident/blonde routine so I didn't actually get a ticket, just a summons to appear in court and - get this - show a picture of the car with the front plate on :eyerole and they will dismiss the charge.

How ridiculous.
Let me guess........Winchester Va. I get pulled eveytime I go through there on I-81 GGrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! :beer

Hmmm

Let me guess........Winchester Va. I get pulled eveytime I go through there on I-81 GGrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! :beer
Billy....I'm guessing no front plate isn't the entire reason you get
pulled over.:L

profilepic30712_4.gif

I don't get it I guess. I will admit that it looks awful on a c6, but it looks ok on a c5. Just put a surround on it or one of those clear covers that follow the body lines.

front plate

I too, live in the great state of NY where 2 plates are mandatory. I have asked this same question to all my vette friends since the consensus is pretty much evenly split. I'm not about risking getting pulled over for something silly like that so I have mine on...I bought the lexan cover so it filts well in the front of my 88..the cover is shaped remarkably well like the GM solid cover. A couple of my friends keep theirs under the seat in case they get stopped. I plan on TOP FLIGHT judging my car in the next year and according to the manual if your state registration mandates 2 plates 2 should be on the vehicle for judging. I agree it does look a bit hokie but it is what it is....my 88 is white and yep you guessed it the state went back to the bright yellow/orange with navy letters....the plate preceeding this was a white background with navy letters.....oh well:eyerole

Billy....I'm guessing no front plate isn't the entire reason you get
pulled over.:L

profilepic30712_4.gif
YEA!!!!....(he he hee) :chuckle They originally pull me for tint, BUT!! always get the plate ticket:happyanim: Seems to be a package deal lately. It's fine, I'll take the ticket. Cheers all, :beer

Illinois requires a front plate, but ten years and I haven't been stopped yet, so it's all good. For what it's worth, the clear front plate cover is illegal here, so that's not an option.

Front plates and speed detection devices

I live in a state that requires the front plate too, so I've got mine on there too. In all honesty, I don't think it looks all that bad, especially when I compare it to all the other cars on the road that have the front plate brackets that look like an afterthought.

I have yet to hear of anyone having to pay a ticket concerning a front plate. I think both of the stories I have heard involved installing the front plate and showing it to the judge, then getting the ticket dropped. Still a hassle I guess.

As for the front plate needing to be there for a laser target, I don't buy that...there are other targets for a laser. Besides, front plates have been around for a lot longer than lidar.

Sen

I live in Texas and mine is under the cover also. I have never been stopped for no front plate in 28 years for not having a front plate on my Vettes. I have gotten a warning for it while getting an un-earned speeding ticket but nothing came of either. FYI 99.5% of speed limit signs cannot be backed up by the required 85th Percentile Traffic Speed Survey that can't be more than 5 years old. It's Federal Law if you request it and they don't have it (they never do) then the judge will have no choice but to find not guilty if you request a directed verdict.

They comment about the lidar target was partially correct. With the Corvette the return signature from the radar units is extremely weak due to not having any flat surfaces to reflect and also because the rubber front nose and fiberglass make a nice catch for the radar waves weakening them further. With moving radar the most powerful return signal is assumed to be the target vehicle and the second is assumed to be related to the patrol vehicle's speed. With the Corvette, these are often reversed causing un-earned citations. I should know.

With lidar, the front plate is in fact the only useful target on an incoming Vette. It is the one they teach in lidar training classes.

Front cover

Where cani purchase a matching plate cover for my car ?
I dont need front plates where I live but I bought the car from texas and they do, i'd like to completely cover that plate area up and make the bumper look more smooth.

Check the classified on any Vette forum. Thats where I got mine. Or move to WV or FL.

Well, I just ran outside my work and prevented the meter maid from
writing me a $55 ticket for not displaying my front plate. I had to take
it off the street and park in our customer parking lot.

Even though I voted as a rebel, the plate must go on this weekend.

Funny thing is that I have driven by city police, sheriffs and state
troopers without even so much as a double look.

The 'crill' of society has me scrambling, go figure.

I am actually considering the show-n-go plate holder so I can keep
the filler in the front end, it looks so clean and aesthetically correct.

I went to court and got my "no front plate" charge dismissed. :happyanim:

However, I do have the front plate installed now. Blech! :mad

June 1st will be two years that my daily driver vet has NOT been registered .I have never had an inspection sticker and no front plate .

The plate I have is from another state so it's never picked up on. :happyanim:

No matter how much of a rebel anybody thinks they are, the Police Departments all over the USA are going to balance their budgets on our backs with big fines...be prepared. I won't be surprised if Police are being recognized for their high ticket counts!

My town actually has a line item for $4,500 of expected ticket fine income.

I never liked a front plate, but I've had mine on for a few years now. I just don't need to give them an excuse.

Chuck M

Just had NCM delivery on 4/6. No front plate or ticket yet. Ordered power retractable plate cause I know it's just a matter of time before the sweet ride is ticketed.

Does anyone have an extra Fairway Green cover?

I just picked up a '97 Fairway Green, missing the front license plate cover. There were only 378 made in this color. Anyone have one?

Alternatively, does anyone living in a state that requires the plate have the cover they can't use? I'd like one to repaint.

Thanks!

I've had three Vettes over these many years and have only been ticketed once for a missing front plate. I like to think that most LEO's are smart enough to recognize that there are some laws not worth enforcing against average well behaved citizens. If I was a cop I simply would feel like a jerk for issuing a ticket of this sort unless the driver deserved it on principle for being a putz.

We all, each and every one of us, knowingly or unknowlingly break numerous motor vehicle laws every year. The Motor Vehicle Code in Calif is hundreds of pages thick. The DMV Driver's Training Book has about 30 pages. The nice LEO's are fully aware of this simple fact. There is nothing we can do about the occasional encounter with an anal retentive or self righteous LEO.

Consider the missing front plate as a form of non-violent protest against abusive, intrusive or revenue driven bureaucracies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom