Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Spring Wedge installation and OEM bump removal question

-=Jeff=-

Corvette
1990 ZR-1
okay..

I got a slightly used front spring from a Forum Member last year. Anyway, my spring is cracking and needs to be replaced (it is Still on the car)

So I decided before I install the newer Spring I would install the wedges before ripping the car apart.

Now looking at the attached pictures there is a metal plate on the top of the bumper. That bumper gets cut off and replaced with the wedge. do I just toss the metal piece as well? it seems to be molded or adhered quite well to the bumper of the spring.. Any Ideas on that Metal piece?
spring-top1.jpg

spring-top2.jpg

I haven't performed that task yet Jeff. Can't help ya. :(

Good luck.

_ken :w

I didn't have one of those metal things on my front spring. I would guess that you probably wouldn't need it. In fact, I shaved the original plastic flush with the spring and then installed the wedges.......strange, I've never seen the metal plates before...
I say, toss the metal plate.

Jay

I think you better follow the instructions in the http://www.vettebrakes.com/ site. Click "instructions" and locate 32309-PDF Lowering Wedge Kit For (1984-96 Corvette).

It says nothing about reusing any bits you slice off the spring. I think you will be successfull if you follow the sheet.

Regards,

Toni

Is it possibe to get more confused by reading more

Heres the ting Im no slouch are the garage. I have owned many car. Im on my second C4. I love them. I want more. I had someone lower my last one. a beautiful 95 black Convertible. I now own a 1991 Polo Green Convertible. I am going to lower this one on my own. I read on how to do it. Then I kept reading. So I am a bit confused now. The boxs that coem with the lowering kit Do you need them. If so shaving them down does that help. If you dont need it will it really hurt the spring.
NOw I have also hear tell of people cutting the rubber end caps off the spring to slap in down as well Is that OF If you do will the tires rub or bottom out to much.

And last but not least I see the picture some are ok of the process but none really show each piece and then what about trimming the
bracket. How much where at.

I look up to evey ine of you out here I trust you, I dont want to hust my babay So again I bow my head and beg you for answers

Chris

Jeff I didn't reuse that thin metal plate. I don't see how it would help or how you could,what just tape it or glue it to frame above wedge? I have to admit my car has a problem of one side of car being higher than other.I talked to experts and found out that the most likely cause is I didn't use any shims above the wedges. Some year cars don't have any shims to begin with.I believe the rubber on these cars is taller and they don't need them stock.I know my car didn't have any.Factory manual says my 93 vette can come with 0 shims, 2 shims, or 3 shims. You need some shims to keep spring from flattening out against tunnel roof causing spring to get stiffer. They thought this is what raised one side higher on my car. The idea is to space spring down slightly so there is some ark to middle of spring. Just wedges alone were not enough on my car. What I'm going to try first is one shim above each wedge and if that don't work I'll keep adding anther shim and try it again. I don't want to add too many and raise it any more than I have to. Good Luck Tim

Hey Jeff,i know you from somewere else. ;) I use NO wedges,NO shims,NO pads. And even trim the rubber at the ends of the spring were it seats in the lower A arm.Car is slammed no problems, Done it to many c4s,10 years and no problems on the very first c4 i slammed. And even run c5 zo6 wheels with no spacers..
1146Platecovered1.JPG

Well I asked just that question, How you guy's who use no shims or wedges get away with it in anther post but didn't get any reponse. I guess I'm trying to guess why my car is so much higher on one side and that was what one chassis guy said. that having the spring flattened out from not enough shims causes it to get way stiffer and he thought might cause my problem. Tim

In your case Tim, would have to actually look at your car up on jack stands. There could be a few reasons why your cars not level. Was ALL the rubber material removed from both sides,no little "hump" left on the spring.... don't forget about the spring end rubber pads,were the spring seats in the a-arms- one side could be worn down more than the other.. maybe the rear is uneven,sorta holding one side higher in the front of the car? Is your car aligned? Are all the body panels and hood aligned.Maybe the alignment is so far off,that one side sags alittle. All quesses though without seeing it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom