Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front suspension bushes

Antz81

Corvette
1981 4 speed
Hi guys.
i'm going to tear down my front suspension to replace the bushes, shocks, etc. any advice or tips you can give me?

Be careful with the a-arms as they can bend,pressing them on or off...
I took pictures of the shims I had in place before I took them off
and replaced them in the exact same way when I put it back together,
and the tire wear has been perfect since then...

Be careful with the a-arms as they can bend,pressing them on or off...
I took pictures of the shims I had in place before I took them off
and replaced them in the exact same way when I put it back together,
and the tire wear has been perfect since then...
I had planned on using some angle line when pressing the bushes on and off (there is a proper tool listed in the FSM)
hmm photos now that's a good idea. I was just going to take notes but photos would be easier.:chuckle

Finally got everything off the car. Had a bit of trouble get the upper control arms off. Had to loosen off the radiator, the power steering pump, and the ac compressor and bracket (which turned out to be broken)
looks like someone may have done the bushes in the upper control arm in the past. But I'll do them since I have them off and will have the bushes. The lower control arm seems to be the original still.
found out bubba has been working here to. When I removed the shocks I found they were the wrong ones and to make them fit he'd cut part of the lower support on the shock. That answers my question on weather I should replace them now since I have them off. Also looks like I have a bad ball joint or two.

now for a question.
the studs for mounting the upper control arm on the drivers side are loose. So I'm guessing they will need to be replaced, but I'm not sure if replacing them will solve the problem. If they are loose won't that mean the hole they are in has been enlarged? If that is the case is there anything I can do about it?

I also found a loose UCA mounting stud while rebuilding my front suspension. The hole was enlarged so I welded the stud's head to the frame. Once assembled, it's not visible. Be sure to check the threads and overall condition of the stud first. A local shop told me this is a common issue.

It took me a while as I got busy with other things. But is all back together now, just need to bleed the brakes. (had a caliper leaking past the stainless sleeve)
Found i had to remove the radiator completely to get it done, which wasn't too bad; i had to drain it anyway to replace a few leaking parts in the cooling system anyway.
Also fixed my alternator while i had it off. (warning light would only come on while cranking)
Welded the UCA studs in place to stop them spinning. (Which was fun, hadn't done any welding since i was an apprentice:L)

Hopefully I'll get to start her up tomorrow and see I've finally got all my vacuum leaks sorted now too.:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom