Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front suspension noise

Corvette
1996 LT1 automatic, Polo Green
My Corvette has started making a noise that I can best describe as a slapping noise when driven over uneven ground, such as a rough parking lot. It is coming from the front of the car, and I don't notice it at higher speeds. I lifted the car up and was able to reproduce the sound (I think) by grabbing the front and rear of a front tire and shaking it. Shaking top and bottom does not produce any noise, although there is a slight amount of play in the driver side lower ball joint (none on passenger side ball joint). The driver side inner tie rod (under the boot) has a little play when shaken, but the noise there is a muffled thud, not the slap.

No other joints have play. The steering rack mounting bolts and all other bolts are tight, with no sign of slipping. Rubber bushings, sway bar mounts, etc. all look good.

My theory right now is that the noise is coming from the rack. The car drives fine, with no unusual feel in the steering wheel. It doesn't feel like there is too much play in the steering. When I had the car in the air, I didn't think to turn the tires left and right and try shaking them while turned.

Any suggestions on the source of the noise?

Thanks,
Ken

Things that come to mind from your description of the noise would be shocks and/or shock mounting points loose or the sway bar end links. i had a sorta cluck/clack from mine only on uneven surfaces---turned out to be the left front sway bar link was loose at the control arm. I couldn't tell it was a little loose by looking/checking but I tightened both sides and my noise went away.

BTW-- Nice color and year choice for your Vette :D :beer

Thanks for the advise. I'll put a wrench on everything I see next time I get a chance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom