Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front suspension question

Islander

Corvette
1966 roadster
I'm building a 1966 resto-rod with a tube chassis that accepts C4 components. Is there a major difference between the 1985-87 and 1988-96 front steering geometry enough to make me choose the latter over the former for sure? And other than the 88-96 caliper being 2-pistons, anything else different between the brakes? Are the 2-piston calipers that much better than the one-piston? I don't have plans to upgrade to 13" rotors/calipers since the wheels will be 16" and the big brakes won't fit. I won't be using the spring or the sway bar either.

The frame accepts only 1985-87 upper A-arms, is there a problem in using those A-arms with the rest of the 1988-96 set up?

Finally, any suggestions on the steering rack? Any major differences there between years?

Thanks in advance,

Islander
user_online.gif

I can only say about the early 85-87 cars.
If your rod is light enough I wouldn't think the brakes would be a huge issue. Finding a rack that's not worn might be a challange, make sure it has both inner tie rods replaced. I've heard the later racks (88+) are better.
There are a greater selection of brake pads for the 2 piston calipers. The only 2 piston set up for early cars I've heard of is for 13" rotor, they will fit behind some 16" wheels. To find out what will fit behind your wheels look at Baer's site they have templates for almost everything. All their Track kits use the same as vette 2 piston PBR made caliper; some with 12" rotors.

JS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom