Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Additives

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
I just thought i would open this to a general discussion:
What, if any, fuel additives do you put in your corvette? There are tons of octane booster and cleaning additives in your local auto parts store, but what is your favorite?

The only one I've tried is Lucas' tune up in a bottle.

Any other recommendations?

Although I've never used octane boosters, I've used Seafoam additive in the past and it did a good job. Last Fall I added Sta-Bil gas stabilzer for the long winter rest. I start it up once a week without problems, so I think it helps.
:Twist

All the detergent additives your fuel system needs are already blended into pump gas. Your car doesn't need any "lead substitute", and the "octane boosters" are snake oil; don't waste your money. :eyerole

I will agree detergent additives or octane boosters are snake oil products, but it is a fact that the new fuels produced today degrade much faster then fuels produced years ago. The unleaded fuels of today have a shelf life of about 30 days before it starts to degrade. If your pride and joy sits in the garage for any extended period of time then I recommend Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer. I have used this product for years in my Corvette and other gas powered equipment with excellent results.
Brian

techron is the only fuel system cleaner recommended by G.M. and it does work as designed also available from G.M. under there label Steve

I'd like to know where I can get some of the stuff Mikie and crew tried in the ol' #55.:boogie

Ask the 5 drivers in Nascar that just got busted for using fuel additives illegally

Zip, Nada, Zilch..

And she sits in a unheated geerage over the winter and starts right up in the spring. And as many know, i aint no mechanic either.. :D

If she ran rough, i would run Techron through it for the injector cleaners, that'll be it.

:w
-Stefan

Sea Foam on a C3

I was wondering if anyone with a C3 has used the Sea Foam in their Shark, all of the posts in the thread linked in this thread was from C5's. Any problems? The reviews of this product seem great, like a no-brainer.

I put that sea foam in my weed eater and it ate the fuel pump diaphragm. guess what I won't use in my vette.

The only thing I use from our chemical inventory in the parts store is some carb cleaner for my 62 FI Vette. And this too is probably of dubious value. All the rest will only benifit the chemical company that makes it and raise the price per gallon of the pump gas. :upthumbs A lose, lose senerial. :L

I was wondering if anyone with a C3 has used the Sea Foam in their Shark, all of the posts in the thread linked in this thread was from C5's. Any problems? The reviews of this product seem great, like a no-brainer.

Yeah, I've used it ... look at my post above....

I had a loud injector in my 88, used Lucas Gas Treat, nice and quiet now. I disagree with previous post on modern day gasoline degrading sooner. Never used Sta-Bil, local well known mech. says don't us unless car sits the whole year, who knows?

Seafoam is effective in addressing certain types of problems - typically dissolving gummed up gasoline deposits caused by years of neglectful storage, but it does not have magical powers to cure problems that do not exist in the first place.

That's what petrified voodoo chicken bones are for, available on eBay. :rotfl

According to my mechanic, who I trust entirely, higher octane gas deteriorates faster ("slowly converts to a varnish"). The only additives I use is Sta-Bil during winter storage. It goes in everything in my garage. Vette, motorcycle, and lawn equipment.

I've tried octane boosters and whatnot. They made no difference, as proven on my dyno runs. Even the supercars with tricked out engines and 11:1 or higher compression didn't even require higher than 100 octane during a magazine's shootout. Our cars should be just fine on 97-98 octane if everything else is tuned and running correctly.

97-98 octane?
Where do you live?! I think my best premium is 93, maybe 95.
Of course, i probably have some of the cheapest gas in the country. This week gas spiked to $2.20 a gallon for regular.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom