Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Fuel gauge/sending unit

WLS Ruby 93

Corvette
1998 Torch Red Coupe
About two weeks ago I spent the time and removed the fuel sending unit on my 93 from the gas tank and carefully cleaned the wire windings reinstalled it using a new gasket then hoping to see that my gas gauge would work.
Alas, I still have the perpetual "Full" tank indicated on the dash read out so before I plunk down the bucks for a new sending unit is there something else I should check?
BTW, based on the looks of the filter screen and the gasket I am fairly sure that it's the original sending unit and the car has 130,000+ miles on it.
Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Keep 'em rollin' :W
Bill

Hi,

you should use an ohmmeter and measure the resistance across the terminals (or wires). I'm not sure what the readings should be but they should definitely change when you move the float with your hand. If that doesn't happen, you "might" have a faulty sender.

I would also check the Field Service Manual (FSM) for thje diag procedure of the sender... I'll bet it;s similar :)

When I unplugged the Fuel pump fuse the fuel gauge display still shows "Full", (I'm not sure why pulling the fuse would matter anyway).
When I had the unit out I checked the resistance with an Ohm meter and it did show change as I moved the float up and down but by how much I don't remember.
Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom