Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel hose question...

Docmacs'77

Corvette
1977 Black Coupe
I just replaced my mech. fuel pump on my '77 and went with a Holley, but the fittings are on the front side which means the short piece of fuel hose from the hard line to the pump is a few inches shy. I need to change it out anyway, because it looks pretty cracked, especially where I used a "C" clamp to pinch it off while I changed out the pump. My dilemma is, with a full tank of gas, how can I change out that piece of fuel hose without getting gas all over the floor while I'm doing it? :confused Is there somewhere near the tank where I could clamp off the line, or hose, if theres one back there? If so, is it hard to get to? Appreciate any suggestions, Marc.

I wouldn't bother trying to clamp it off elsewhere. Unless you move much slower than I do, you shouldn't lose much fuel.

You've already pinched the old flexhose before, right? Pinch it again. I try to avoid pinching/crushing hoses whenever possible but the old hose is being replaced, right? Pinch away!!

Have your replacement hose premeasured and then wind a bolt into one end of it; something just tight enough to block flow of fuel but not too tight or you'll damage the inside of the hose. Pop off one end of the old hose off and then plug the open end of the new hose onto the fitting. When you ready to pop the other end of the old hose off, remove the bolt from the new hose and put your finger over the end. Pop & plug... tighten the clamps and you're done!

If you're concerned about even a minor spill, have a shop towel ready to soak it up or some Absorball on the floor.

-Mac

You could really save yourself a big headache and get rid of the aftermarket Bubba pump and go back to the stock configuration. There's no advantage (performance, reliability or otherwise) to those things.

Vettehead Mikey said:
You could really save yourself a big headache and get rid of the aftermarket Bubba pump and go back to the stock configuration. There's no advantage (performance, reliability or otherwise) to those things.

Besides the [non] headache ;) of Mikey's "Bubba" labels - what are the specific disadvantage(s)?

pgtr said:
Besides the [non] headache ;) of Mikey's "Bubba" labels - what are the specific disadvantage(s)?

The Holley pump won't accept the correct all-steel fuel line on the pressure side of the pump to the carb; requires use of "Bubba" rubber hose and clamps.

JohnZ said:
The Holley pump won't accept the correct all-steel fuel line on the pressure side of the pump to the carb; requires use of "Bubba" rubber hose and clamps.

Oh? :gap But uh, um, weeeell ya kinda sorta <ahem> forgot to mention it's the same 'in'correct "Bubba" rubber fuel hoses and clamps engine and auto manufacturers from aroun' the world (including yours truly's very own employer) have used on the pressure side of pumps up to carbs.
So that's it? That's the so-called 'headache' behind your 'bubba' shtick? :duh Heck I figger a pimple on your ar$e has gotta be worse 'n dat. A little ol' piece o' rubber causes the headache eh?

---

JohnZ said:

I must confess a certain curiosity about this anti-rubber fuel hose 'thing' of yours. Reading carefully I note that you are reactive and closed minded about two specific issues: "won't accept the correct..." and of course "'Bubba' rubber hose and clamps".

Ya see we're like restoring this car and it has a factory original electric fuel pump and factory original rubber fuel hoses with factory original spring clamps supplying fuel to the factory original carburetors thru factory original inline fuel filter. So for the millions of cars, bubbas and bubba-automakers that commit the sinful sacrilege of using rubber fuel hoses or gasp convert their C3s to something other than (gasp) 'correct' - what exact is worse in the grand sceme of things with respect to C3s or other cars for that matter?

A) incorrectness as in non-originality configurations in general?
B) lo-pressure rubber fuel hoses as used by non-GM automakers and bubbas alike around the world?

pgtr said:
I must confess a certain curiosity about....

I must confess a certain curiosity about why you feel you must challenge JohnZ & Mikey about this?

-Mac

Sure - I share facts because JohnZ (Mikey is IMO mostly following his example) has established a pattern on this board of labeling, even baiting anyone using rubber hoses or wishing to discuss it with taunts and labels like "Bubba" et al. They don't discuss the topic in a fact based manner. It is fact that, Chevy excepted, millions of carbureted cars, both import and domestic have been produced with low pressure fuel grade rubber hose, pressure side included. Even Chevy return hoses pump fuel back thru rubber. Rubber fuel hoses are widely accepted and used in the 'hot rod' and 'customizing' community including C3s just as it has been in the automotive engineering community. And it is certain that BOTH steel tube and rubber hose methods (often used in combination) are legitimate and have their respective tradeoffs. But these two have made this common subject taboo on this board because of the rapidity with which they 'label' anyone so much as mentioning rubber fuel hoses followed by vague warnings and the only facts being the 'originality' thing. They continue with the same old labels directed at anyone bringing up the topic. The discussion of reasonable tradeoffs between the 2 legit methods for plumbing fuel is an interesting and valid one for any C3s not cobbled by a strict code of originality only - and if one takes the time to search other boards, it can and often is discussed elsewhere.

My curiosity is legit - I wonder, how can someone pontificate so much about their professional resume and yet be in such a state of denial about the verifiable and glaring facts of fuel plumbing? And worse to take it to the point of browbeating others with the usual labels and innuendos. It's as if they want other board participants to feel stupid for even wishing to discuss. But regardless of their sensitive pride, the facts about the usage of lo pressure rubber fuel hose are there for anyone to verify.

Rubber fuel feed lines from fuel pump to carb are a fire hazzard. GM never 'plumbed' a factory car in this manner.

pgtr said:
Sure - I share facts because....
If you're simply here to "share facts" then you should be able to do so without all of the histrionics. Your posts didn't offer any assistance to the person who asked the question whatsoever. All you've done is stirred the pot and tried to provoke trouble.

If these posts are examples of the facts you have to share, I would suggest you take the time to consider your motivation in posting more carefully in the future. If you feel you have something to "prove" then do yourself and the rest of us all a favour and don't bother.

-Mac

Pete,
Thanks for the links to the braided steel lines. I have a rubber line that split - about a foot long - glad I caught it right away.
Craig

Bob Chadwick said:
We can get a little inflexible around here when someone wants to modify their car.

I have no trouble with anybody modifying their car, mine is nowhere near stock (despite me upholding the virtues ;) of the NCRS and being a master judge) but I believe that it is fair and reasonable to present both sides of an issue when a poster is asking for suggestions.

pqtr -as usual- has missed the mark in his response and done nothing to answer the question.

My objection to this particular mod is that it offers nothing in terms of performance, reliability or other parameters (weight, cost, ease of starting, fail safe mode, you name it) yet has the draw back of being difficult to install with respect to the need to create customised inlet/outlet fuel lines.

I share John's concern that indescriminately adding flexible rubber tubing held with hose clamps on the pressure side of the system is just asking for trouble. An OEM designed and purpose built hose is one thing, a do it yourself add on is another.

Why bother? :beer

If you're going to do this in your garage, I suggest you make sure there are no sources of ignition, particularly your gas hot water heater.

Vettehead Mikey said:
I have no trouble with anybody modifying their car, mine is nowhere near stock (despite me upholding the virtues ;) of the NCRS and being a master judge) but I believe that it is fair and reasonable to present both sides of an issue when a poster is asking for suggestions.

pqtr -as usual- has missed the mark in his response and done nothing to answer the question.

My objection to this particular mod is that it offers nothing in terms of performance, reliability or other parameters (weight, cost, ease of starting, fail safe mode, you name it) yet has the draw back of being difficult to install with respect to the need to create customised inlet/outlet fuel lines.

I share John's concern that indescriminately adding flexible rubber tubing held with hose clamps on the pressure side of the system is just asking for trouble. An OEM designed and purpose built hose is one thing, a do it yourself add on is another.

Because it is their car and they want to? In essence a debate over whether or not someone should do something to a car is a hijacking of the thread. They are seeking information on how, not why, to do a particular mod.

Let's get this post back on track, or if the question is answered, leave it be.

Docmacs'77 said:
I just replaced my mech. fuel pump on my '77 and went with a Holley, but the fittings are on the front side which means the short piece of fuel hose from the hard line to the pump is a few inches shy. I need to change it out anyway, because it looks pretty cracked, especially where I used a "C" clamp to pinch it off while I changed out the pump. My dilemma is, with a full tank of gas, how can I change out that piece of fuel hose without getting gas all over the floor while I'm doing it? :confused Is there somewhere near the tank where I could clamp off the line, or hose, if theres one back there? If so, is it hard to get to? Appreciate any suggestions, Marc.

I would drain the gas - way easier than trying to fight it. Borrow gas cans from the neighbors if you have to.

What would happen if you blocked the pressure return line and the vent line - would that stop the flow? (If no air could get in it would really slow down the gas coming out.)

There is a hose on the top of the tank - look on passenger side in the back, somewhere above the muffler. If all you can see is steel then there is no place to pinch off the line.

Vettehead Mikey said:
Well, Docmacs'77 has not stated any reason for installing the Holley pump. If the primary objective is to get your car running again in stock form, then I won't argue that the stock pump will work fine.

However, at a certain point on the performance curve (modded engine) the stock pump will not do the job adequately. As the performance of the engine is increased, the demand for fuel increases. At some point the demands for fuel cannot be supplied by the stock pump. You know when it happens - staying on the throttle for 10 seconds and the car starts to falter. Having gone through the routine of checking for vacuum leaks, plugged filters and pickups, float settings, it comes down to the fuel pump needing more flow.

In addition, an aftermarket pump will provide additional pressure that may help inhibit vapor lock in some situations, even with a stock engine.

So that is why I would bother.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom