Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Imballance

C

CHAS82

I've have a 1982 Crossfire with a fuel problem. My fuel guage is jumping all over the dial like a geiger counter and creating hesitation on acceleration. When I start the car in the morning the needle is moving inside the dial like it's out of control. My idle also drops between 500 & 1000. When I get to a stop sign or traffic light I anticipate a sloching of fuel in the tank, creating movement of the needle. Even under a full load of power the needle is jumping all around. Any solutions that can be suggested is greatly appreciated.

Chas
Two-Tone Blue 82
Portland, Oregon

Chas.... the fuel gauge jumping sounds a lot like a GND wire problem (at the filler neck connections). It was on my '81. However, that shouldn't affect your idle. Hopefully a couple X-Fire guys will chime in on that.

Good luck............ Nut

....... and PLEASE be sure to disconnect the battery before you go poking around looking for an electrical problem in the filler neck area.

FUEL IMBALLANCE CON'T

Ladies & Gents. I took my baby to the mechanic this morning - its my sending unit. Both ZIP and MIDAMERICA have one for $359.00 .... ouch that hurts. I guess that's to be expected since
it was the original one assembled over 20 years ago.

I would call around locally for a price before I shelled out 359.00 for one. I would check all the parts store and maybe even the Chev. dealer. You might find one much cheaper. If someone has one I'm sure they would like to part with it as there isn't much call for older parts,might get a good deal if you shop.

CHAS82- I'll shoot you an original part# in the morning and do a national dealer search if you'd like.I am pretty sure GM discontinued that but I will verify that and post here when I get to work in the morning.
And welcome to the CAC :upthumbs

Dave

82 fuel sending unit

CHAS82- fuel sender is available thru GM Parts.The GM part# is 25003153.If you are interested I can do one for 289.00 + ups shipping to you.

Dave

Fuel Imballance Cont' 2

Thank you all so much for getting back to me. I called 2 chevy
dealers in Portland, the Sending unit goes for $465.94 to
$470.65. It is avail thru GM, and takes a week to get here
from East Landsing, MI.

I'll try the web page suggested by bobchad.

CHAS82 - try removing your sending unit assembly & dissassembling it & cleaning the contacts. I had the fuel similar problems with my 82 and removeing the cover & gently cleaning the wires & contacts with steel wool solved the problem. Problem has not come back in over two years. If you need further help please feel free to contact me.

Terry Colyer
Silver/Blue 82
Maroon 86 4+3

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom