Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Line Question: How do I change fuel line from pump to carb

racingundertaker

Corvette
1971 Pro Street Corvette
I am trying to change the solid metal line from the fuel pump outlet to the carb due to a carb change. I went from a Q-jet to a Holley and now the solid line won't reach to the fuel inlet on the new Holley. I loosened the solid line up where it exits from the fuel pump to the carb.....and the fuel would not stop leaking from the fuel pump. It became a little scary so I tightened it back up. It seems like the pump is siphoning more fuel out the pump. Am I doing something wrong? And no.....I didn't loosen the wrong line up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think you're doing it wrong. Your pump must be 'open' if it keeps running. If you roll it over a little so the cam isn't holding it open, you should be ok. See if that helps.
Craig

gas work sucks, let the pro's do it. at least thats my motto.

throw the q-jet back on adn drive until you run out of gas. then you can change the line with no leaks.

Thanks Craig.......I will have to let things dry out a bit and try it in the morning. That seems to make a lot of sense......I hated to go to the Holley, but the Q-Jet gave up to old age and decided to strip out the fuel filter threads. Oh well......I will let you know if rolling it over works or not.

I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago, and it didn't run out when I pulled the old one off. Gotta be what it is. . .

Well, I finally gave up on trying to figure out what is going on after having more fuel dump on me. Seems that the pump is still siphoning gas through the pump. I redid some of the fuel line for now, and am going to pick up a rubber hose line pincher. Seems that on some of the Vette's this is a problem, and pinching the fuel hose shut takes care of it. Don't want to use Vise grips ala Bubba and damage the hose.

sometimes between the pump and the line, there is lots of fuel in there, if it really bothers you, pull the rubber supply line off the pump, and stick a 3/8 bolt in it. that's what i always do. dont' be too scared, although i'm sure safety nuts will jump all over me, it's highly unlikely that the fuel will catch fire, even if it hits very hot parts of the engine. a few weeks ago, i was taking my 1981 harley shovelhead chopper out for it's maiden voyage after i chopped it. during the process i installed a different tank, and made mounts for it. the weld on the mount caused a tear in the thin sheet metal of the tank. I rode for 30 miles with gas PUKING all over the engine without knowing it. then i pulled over to meet some friends, and they pointed it out to me. I freaked out, and thought it would catch fire. the gas was sizzling as it landed on the head. it had a very nice stream of fuel dumping right on to the hot engine. well, for about 15 minutes, i tried to keep it off the motor using my shirt, socks, etc. after that, i literally gave up. it's insured, let it burn, and walked away and waited for the tow truck. 4 gallons of fuel dumped on the hot motor for a hour before it was finally empty. and when it was empty, i touched the motor, and it was still way hot! no fire, got luck (or unlucky, insurance $$$ would have been cool!)

racingundertaker said:
I redid some of the fuel line for now, and am going to pick up a rubber hose line pincher. Seems that on some of the Vette's this is a problem, and pinching the fuel hose shut takes care of it. Don't want to use Vise grips ala Bubba and damage the hose.

Get one of these - all plastic, rounded jaws - any decent auto parts store has them. The gas tank is higher than the fuel pump, and if you don't clamp off the hose ahead of the pump, everything in the tank will end up on the floor.

GasClamp640.jpg

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom