Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: fuel pump relay

82mystery

Corvette
1982 blue
:W help: I HAVE A 82 THAT THE FUEL RELAY WENT OUT AND WHEN I REPLACED IT ,IT WOULDN,T START AGAIN, PUT NEW RELAY IN AND IT RUNS TILL I CUT IT OFF AND THEN IT WON.T START WITHOUT PUTTING IN ANOTHER RELAY. IS THEIR A IN LINE FUSE SOMEWHERE ELSE? THANKS LARRY

sounds like you have a short thats not letting the relay drop out when you shut the car off. Quick way to find out is to just unplug the relay and plug it back in and see if the car starts.

There is only one fuse to the fuel pump.
The 82 fuel relay has 2 ways that it is enabled.
The first way is that it is switched on when you turn the key on, and the fuel pump activates until the pressure in the line comes up to pressure. It stays on while the engine is cranking, and is controlled by the ECM.
Once the engine starts, the relay is deactivated and the power for the fuel pump comes from the oil pressure switch at the rear of the engine by the distributor. It will stay on until you turn off the key, or lose oil pressure

The wiring diagam for the relay can be found here:
http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/twinnie/system.html

Offhand, I would be looking at the fuel pump itself. It may be drawing excessive amounts of currernt and burning out the output contacts on the relay.
Take one of your old relays apart and take a look at the contacts. If they look like crispy critters, the pump is probably the culprit.
Replace it with an 85 fuel pump if you replace it. It has a higher flow rate.

SORRY FOR THE DELAY ON SAYING THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR IMPUT ON THIS PROBLEM. BEEN OUT OF TOWN ON BUSINESS. HAVE A NEW,30 DAYS OLD,FACTORY FUEL PUMP THAT I PUT BEFORE ALL THIS STARTED. I AM THINKING ABOUT REMOVING THE WIRES FROM THE PUMP AND RUNNING MY WIRES FROM THE BATTERY TO THE PUMP AND SOLDIERING THEM IN ALONG WITH A TEMP. RELAY TO GET ECM CHECKED OUT. AGAIN THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP. LARRY

So if you weren't having the problem before you put in the new fuel pump, why do you want to jury rig your system to work oround a suspect component?
If the pump is a problem, even a new one, it will only get worse.

I WAS GOING TO JURY RIG THIS BECAUSE I WAS GOING TO DRIVE IT TO THE LOCAL DEALER TO LET THEM PUT IT ON THEIR SCOPE TO FIND THE PROBLEM, ITS ABOUT 25 MILES FROM MY HOME. I DROVE THIS CAR ABOUT 300 MILES OFF & ON BEFORE THIS STARTED. I AM DOING SOME MOTOR WORK ON ANOTHER 82 I JUST GOT AND KIND OF LET THIS SAT. ELECTRIC PROBLEMS ARE HARD FOR ME TO RUN DOWN. THANKS LARRY

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom