Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

fuel pump

aja37

Corvette
1970 Midnight Metalic Blue
i bought a 1984 corvette not to long ago. It came modified with a webber carborator. The car was running when i first got it, but stalled out and hasnt started since. We took off the fuel line going to the carborator and no gas was being pumped to the carborator. I replaced the fuel pump and there is still no gas going to the carborator. I would really appreciate if someone would give me some ideas on what to check next.

84's were originally TBI equipped, computer controlled and had the pump in the tank. Without knowing just what was modified its hard to trouble shoot.
There will be an inline filter that could be clogged assuming the lines have not been completely changed.

i bought a 1984 corvette not to long ago. It came modified with a webber carborator. The car was running when i first got it, but stalled out and hasnt started since. We took off the fuel line going to the carborator and no gas was being pumped to the carborator. I replaced the fuel pump and there is still no gas going to the carborator. I would really appreciate if someone would give me some ideas on what to check next.

If it was an unmodified 1984 Corvette, you could have one person turn the key to the accessory position, then with the gas lid open place your ear to the opening and listen for the fuel pump to iniitialize. It will run for about 2 seconds.Can you here the pump? No? Check the fuse.

The fuel filter is located on the right side of the car right under the passenger side door, it may be clogged.

Will be replacing the fuel filter today, will keep you posted as to how we make out.

Will be replacing the fuel filter today, will keep you posted as to how we make out.
keep in mind that the filter is directional there should be an fuel flow arrow or it will be marked inlet and outlet. Any pictures of how the lines are run would help also.

If you need help, email me at brimis1@comcast.net and I'll step you through the process. Check the fuel pump and fuse first, should take all of 1 minute.

if it had a carburetor on it, someone surely replaced the pump with the correct low pressure one. Should be around 3-7 psi. May be too quiet to hear run, and may be on the frame. Makes you wonder if the low psi is just returning thru the regulator back to the tank ?

Ok after replacing the fuel pump then getting ready to replace the fuel filter, discovered that the filter is electrical. It's making noise for about 2 seconds but isn't pumping anything. When we purchased the filter just got a regular filter nobody asked if we neeeded an electrical filter. What's this all about? Fuse is good.... Has anybody got any insight for us at this point. Where do we find an electrical fuel filter and do we even need to replace it if we can hear and feel it doing something.

Thats not a filter, thats a small inline frame mounted pump. Gold in colour, right? 2 wires, etc.. thats a generic carburetor electric pump. You need that.
maybe the previous owner left the factory pump in the tank and is trying to make this pump suck thru it. Thats not good.
Move on, check fuel filter or filters, and let us know.

best of luck,
John

We replaced the pump in the tank Saturday not knowing anything about the inline pump. thought it was a fuel filter until we went to replace it today. The car ran when we picked it up, but stalled out durning transit and hasn't run since. We are not getting any gas up to the carb at this point. What should we check next?

Looks like a PO has replaced the filter with a pump. Your car should have the pump in the tank its a unit with the filler neck, pump, lines and gas gage sender all in one and can be removed thru the fill area I think you have to remove the cap assembly to get at it but it is doable without dropping the tank.
If you can replace the added pump with the stock filter trace the wires and be sure that the in tank pump (which you have replaced) is getting power; you will need to cut the pressure down to carb level with a pressure regulator before it goes into the carb because the stock pump has too much pressure for a carb.
12-15 lbs TBI where a carb is 5-7 check for leaks and you should be good to go.

we already replaced the fuel pump, the thing we are have problems with is the inline fuel pump. Were not sure what to do next with the inline fuel pump.

we already replaced the fuel pump, the thing we are have problems with is the inline fuel pump. Were not sure what to do next with the inline fuel pump.

get rid of it and put a pressure regulator before the carb to cut down the pressure to carb levels put the stock fuel filter back where the inline pump was.

click here

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom