Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Fuel Tank rust

boomdriver

Corvette
87 z-51
I pulled my dead fuel sender :cryover the weekend to see lots of rust on the underside of the top plate and the steel tubes. Pretty discouraging to see all that crud IN my tank. (sender contact broken off, new assy required)

My question is, does anybody know of a coating or some material that can be applied to the metal parts of the pump filler-neck & tubes, to prevent rust? Obviously something that will survive in gasoline?

Next question, can the rust be cleaned away with bead blasting or an acid wash and the parts be used again and NOT rust immediately? were they supposed to be galvanized to prevent rust? or just plain mild steel?

As long as we are forced to run with gas that has alcohol, water is going to be an unwanted "extra" that will continue to cause rust and contaminate our fuel systems. My new injectors are not going "in" until this is resolved.

Any ideas?;help

Don't forget to replace the fuel filter also after you get the tank cleaned out.

i dont think their is anything you can spray in your tank to inhibit future rust. i suggest clean is as best as possible if its too bad replace the tank but if you do clean it make sure you replace the fuel filter as stated before

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom