Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fun With Turn Signals

Nut

Corvette
Vette-less for now
Ok folks..... here's my dilemma. I got nailed at a Concours Judged show this weekend in the tech review. My right front turn signal was not working. :nono However, the right rear as well as the right indicator light in the dash blinked just fine in both the turn signal mode and Emergency Flasher mode. :confused Hmmmmm you say, tell me more. OK...... with the headlights on, the right side running light lights up OK.

Analysis (so far):
* replaced the bulb (twice) no chg
* checked side marker lights - no chg
* replaced rear light (even though it worked) - no chg
* checked wiring for obvious cracks/brakes/fraying - none
* pulled blinker relay and replaced - no chg (not easy either!)

Any ideas? I'll be digging out the schematic tonight and start mapping out the circuitry. Now this may sound silly, but I had to replace another power window switch the day before. Can't imagine any wiring in the turn signal circuit that would run through the center console section. I wonder if I could have dinged a wire when screwing the side panels back on? Hmmmm. :cry

Thanks............. Nut

Nut, did you say the blinker works when the headlights are on, but not when they're off? That would make me look for ground problems.

Steve :w

Nut, I would bet it is the ground wire on the right front blinker.

Jumper it out, then run a test ground lead off the harness and see if that does not do the trick!

Nut,
Did the lamp light and not flash or not even light?

Why such a tough question? It is Monday you know:L :L :L

Carlo

To answer the inquiries:

Steve: The bulb did not flash under any conditions, however the running light part of the bulb would work, just not blink.

Chris: Yeah, I'm getting the VOM meter out tonight (and hopefully that works) and check GND.

Carlo: The lamp did not light when the signal was turned on, however the running light did light up when the headlights were turned on.

The wires were certainly grimmy but nothing looked broken or frayed and the bulb socket was sealed tightly into the flasher housing. PLenty of slack in the wire harness so not likely and undue stress was put on the wiring. I did notice a considerable amount of non-conductive grease in the lamp socket when I remove the first bulb. Still seemed as though I'd get a solid contact. Gonna clean it up and try again. Question: Does anyone think that the flasher relay may be bad? Any chance there's a separate relay pole for the front and rear flashers? Maybe I'm just thinking on it too hard. Like Carlo said...... it is Monday (and I'm actually working instead of playing golf) :D
Darn the luck.

Thanks for the responses guys............... Nut

Nut,

I hesitate to even say this... but.... it is the right two element light bulb :D right ;)

BudD
:w

Nut,
The 82 schematic shows one signal flasher. If the rear right directional works I don't think it would be the flasher. If you need the schematic let me know via e-mail. I would lean towards Chris' suggestion. The ground runs to the generator ground then branches off to it's own ground(G106)
This is off an 82 but I would think they are similar.

You can always use hand signals:L :L You remember them from your first road test:confused :L :L :L

Carlo

Carlo,

I have a schematic but thanks my friend for tracing it out for me. Yoda.... it is the two element bulb and I replaced with both 1157 and 2057 bulbs. Same problem. Do I remember my driving test? Vaguely. Sounds like an interesting topic for an Off Road Lounge post.

I didn't get the chance last night to play around with it. Likely a weekend diversion. Thanks guys......... Nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom