Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuse Box

Havachat9

Corvette
1976 corvette
Is it possible for someone to send me a picture of a 1976 fuse box indicating what each fuse is for? My manual doesn't show it and there is no face on mine. One of the fuses is blown and the car won't start.

Cheers.

I tried gettting under there to take a pic, but there are wires in the way that I cant move enough to get a clear shot.

You could get one of those little testers to check each fuse to see which one it is.

This is from a 78, maybe similar....That board in the lower rt corner is for delay wipers, 76 will probably just have a fuse in that spot.
78panel.jpg

Go into any autoparts shop (or library) that has a Chiltons guide. There's a breakout of the fusebox in there. However, if you are in a library, there's better references, such as Haines manuals and actual service manuals.

yep, that is my fuse box. I was putting my stereo in and the yellow (fuse) wire touched the (metal) centre consol and shorted the car. Do u or anyone know which fuse to replace? Would it be the one that says (backup)? What are 2 up the top? One looks like a relay. Whats the one underneath?
Thanks for helping.

Cheers.

I tried a tester and I tested each fuse individually on both sides. They either worked or didn't work, cause some work when the ignition works which is my problem. hmmm

That round thing at the top left? That's a flasher, The thing below it is a circuit breaker for the power windows and I think also the defroster. If the yellow wire(radio power) you grounded was from the underdash harness you probably blew the radio fuse. You can usually just see which fuse blows. Or pop them out and look. Shouldn't keep the car from starting, tho.

i agree that blowing a fuse shouldn't have done anything to prevent the vehicle from starting. destroying one (or more) of the fusable links, however will do that. it is possible that you grounded (shorted) out on of the main leads conncected through a fusable link. if you go onder the car and find the harness from the solenoid/starter motor, you will find 4 fusable links (i'm not certain, but i believe there might be others on a 76 also. the owners manual or a good electrical system guide for your year should show you the locations). the easiest way to test the fusable links is to take safety pins and pierce the wires on both sides of the links. test for current flow with a meter with the key in the "on" position. current flow = good link. i suggest that location because all the vehicles power is transmitted through the starter motor circuit to the fuse box via that part of the harness at the solenoid/starter. it's where the direct positive battery cable starts from the battery (to the battery post on the starter solenoid). it's that way on my 78 and should be similar if not exactly the same for your 76.

You wre right, a short wouldn't stop the car from starting. The problem is that the battery had dropped a cell (prob from the short). It all works now. Thanks eveybody for the input.....cheers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom