Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Galvanize frame?

Ed's 1970

Corvette
1970 Stingray coupe
Has anyone contemplated hot-dip galvanizing the whole frame in a frame-off resto or even other steel parts? And then painting or powder coating over that.

It seems this would be the ultimate solution to preventing rust, since all parts of the frame would be protected. I don't know yet what the cost is but I am going to find out this week.

I have seen galvanized steel parts 50 years old with no corrosion on them.

thanks Ed :w

reason may be.

Hi Ed one of the main reasons would be cost,as you will know, any preventative rust treatment has to start with completely striped or clean bare metal, and getting it sealed as soon as possible, and getting to the inside areas of a twenty or thirty year old chassis, is very difficult, i think the price would be more than triple, and then you still would not have any garrantee its success would be any better than normal methods of acd dipping, sandblasting or special rust preventative and finishes available on the market today.. If they where galvanised from new from the factory yes they would better. example porsche 911 introduced galvanised bodies, to prevent rust from 1976,and this prooved very successful. regards wayne.

Has anyone contemplated hot-dip galvanizing the whole frame in a frame-off resto or even other steel parts? And then painting or powder coating over that.

It seems this would be the ultimate solution to preventing rust, since all parts of the frame would be protected. I don't know yet what the cost is but I am going to find out this week.

I have seen galvanized steel parts 50 years old with no corrosion on them.

thanks Ed :w

Sand blasting and POR-15 is a more cost effective option.

But I like your approach- do it once, do it right!

If I remember correctly paint does not stick directly to galvanize unless you wash it down first with white vinegar as this works like an etching. Not a problem just a little more preparation to the metal before a finish is applied. Powder coating holds up OK on most small parts but does not have very good properties when minor flexing like a frame may have under stress. POR-15 would be my choice of applications for longevity.
Here is my way of preparing large items using Sugar as a blasting media & POR-15:
After a good media cleaning use filtered compressed air to clean item. Having a garden hose hooked up to a faucet with warm water and etching concentrate mixed with a large sponge I wash down item with the etching solution and then rinse with warm water as this dissolves any trapped sugar graduals. After washing down completely and rinsing I use the filtered compressed air again to dry item. Now that the item is etched you have a couple of days to apply a finish coat, depending on the humidity.
There is nothing more frustrating as when you’re ready to shoot on the finish coat of paint and a blast of air from the paint gun finds a small pocket of trapped sand and peppers a nice finish.
Brian

Sounds like a bit of overkill. After your frame has been cleaned, prepped, restored, and you've completed your frame off project --- do you plan to do much driving in inclement weather? I know mine never sees the rain, and I believe I've been able to control any new rust.

Also, you're in SoCal so you have the added benefit of having the ideal climate for our classics!

:beer

I would go for sandblasting and powdercoaten! Galvanizing is nice I you want your car to outlive yourself about 3 times ;)

Groeten Peter

powdercoating will not stick properly unless you have the frame phosphated (either iron or zinc, there are drawbacks and benefits to both systems, iron is easier as it coats and cleans, zinc requires separate cleaning) before coating.

My main concern was the inside portions of the frame, where a sandblaster can not reach. I guess I will just wait until I take the body off and then see just how bad the frame is. Most of it appears okay, except the back part of the car. There are parts of it in the back that look like orange peel when cleaned. I took off one of the emergency brake brackets to get a representation on the frame. I want to post a picture but I don't know how.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom