Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Garage Fire Claims Prized 1962 Corvette

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Blaze claims vintage sports car that owner had treasured for four decades

By Joe Hornaday
Staff Writer
The Daily Reporter

attachment.php

Photo Credit: Joe Hornaday/Daily Reporter

FORTVILLE, IN — A garage fire that spread to an attached home Wednesday night destroyed home- owner E.H. Martin’s classic 1962 Chevrolet Corvette and left his family wondering what to do next.

No one was injured in the fast-moving fire. On Thursday, Martin and his family were picking through the rubble and assessing damage at the home in the 300 block of North Madison Street.

The garage is a total loss, said Martin’s wife, Patricia Martin. The house, which is attached to the garage, also caught fire. Firefighters were able to contain the flames before they spread throughout the two-story residence, but it suffered heavy damage.

In the ruins of the garage Thursday sat the burned-out hulk of Martin’s pride and joy, the Corvette he had owned since 1970. He estimated he had put about $60,000 into the car over the years, handling restoration and repairs himself.

Full Story: Greenfield Daily Reporter - Blaze claims vintage sports car that owner had treasured for four decades

Attachments

• 092713_4b.jpg
    092713_4b.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 223
That is just sickening.

Tom

Could be the clock. :ugh

Could be anything electrical left plugged in. I saw one of these stories a few years ago where the owner was working on his Corvette. He needed to go to the autoparts store so hit the door closer when he left. Returned to the Fire Department putting out what was left of his garage and Corvette. Lots of damage to his house too. The garage door opener shorted out when the door closed and caught fire. The investigation found the opener to be direct wired with no fuse or breaker.

Here is one that happened to me. I was was packing my lunch for work one afternoon a few months ago when I noticed that the coffee maker light came back on. Instantly smoke started billowing out from under the unit with that nasty electrical smell. I unplugged it and took it outside quickly. I still wonder what would have happened if I hadn't been standing there. I hope the breaker would have kicked off and the thing would not hot have erupted into flames, but who knows.

Tom

I hear ya Tom. That's why I always unplug the toaster and turn off the Keurig. Although unplugging the Keurig may be even better also.

I've also heard that old vette clocks, especially on midyears, have been known to start fires, something about them stripping gears to "catch up" when the battery drops volts.
Anybody else heard of that? That being said I always remove one cable off a battery post after a ride.

When I go away for a week or so, I disconnect and unplug 4 Battery Tenders (2 vettes--one 66, one C6; one 67 Ford; one Cub Cadet) just to be safe. I want to be around when all this stuff is hooked up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom