Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Garage heater

gedmeyer

Corvette
former L81 owner!
hey all! Well, as with a lot of other people, winter struck hard today. We're looking at about a foot on the ground right now and it's still coming down.

In any case, I'm considering getting a heater for my garage. I'm only looking at getting a portable model.

I'm not looking to heat the garage day in and day out, I just want something I can turn on when I'm planning on working on ole Roxy... (I've got the standard single-door 2 car garage in Upstate NY)

Here is one the local Home Depot has... indoor kerosene heater

Anybody have any comments on this one, or one I should consider?

Oh, I'm on a budget for this and don't need something fancy. Just something to keep me from freezing my ass off.

THANKS!
-tim

whoops! that link does not work!

here are the specs for it ($119 bucks):
Heats approx. 1000 sq. ft. Heats 9-12 hours per tank full. 99% fuel efficient. Battery powered ignition. Rugged steel frame. Outer cabinet grill guard. Safety tip-over shut off. Includes siphon pump and batteries. No electricity required. Meets U.S. Standard 647

164149_3.jpg

thanks again!

I can see what you're considering.

For portable shop heat, I prefer the ones that attach to LP/propane tank (gas BBQ grill tank) ... is relatively silent ... only LP/propane ... uses no electricity ... I think they call it infra-red.

Torpedo heater runs on kero/diesel ... but also requires electricity ... heats very quick but fumes can be strong & unit is noisy.
JACK:gap

I had one of these Kerosene heaters, very similar to the one you're considering. You need to have plenty of outside air coming in or the fumes can kill you. You also need a source of K-1 kerosene, not the regular kerosene or diesel fuel, it has to be K-1 or the fumes will drive you out of your garage. Therse heaters also give off a terrible stink of half burnt kerosene when you shut them off. If you must use one of these make absolutely sure you have a carbon monoxide sensor in that room, also, give your local fire department a call and ask them what they think of these heaters. My fire department doesn't think very highly of them, partly because of the carbon monoxide issue and partly because you have liquid fuel in the heater and an open flame. No longer considered a safe situation in an enclosed space these days. When I was a kid in the early 50's we had kerosene stoves in our house for cooking and heating, that was then. Now they are history and for good reason.

My dad has one of these Reddy Heaters that he uses to heat his shop during the winter. there are different sizes available...here is one for example...

Reddy Heater 35,000 Btu Liquid Propane Forced Air Heater
Item #: 220639
Model: RLLP35
$98.00
35,000 Btu output
Heats up to 820 sq.ft.
Atmospheric burner provides quiet and clean instant heat
Hose and regulator included
High capacity fan distributes heat quickly and evenly
Runs up to 12 hours on a 20 lb. propane cylinder
Patented HSI smart start ignition control system
Made in USA

hope this helps.
-matt

huh...I didn't think it was that big of a problem. It says it's an indoor heater, so that would lead me to think that it would be ok for enclosed spaces?

i have propane...

i use a bullit style propane heater.....heats it up on the coldest days in just a few mins...and uses propane , on high i can run for about 20 hrs.....i get the bottle filled about every other week...kerosene gives me a headache....propane burns clean till the bottle gets low, thats how i can tell to get ready for a re-fill...and its about 40 bucks more than the kerosene of the same style.but it does require electric for the blower.....i think mine is 80000 btu on low and 120000 on high...i go on high for about 15 mins then low for about another 15...then its off or i start to get to hot....

my 2 cents for ya...chas :w

Gedmeyer,I went through the same problems over the years.I used the torpedoe(reddy)heater for about for years until it started giving off bad fumes and causing fisheyes in paint jobs.About two years ago I put in a cheap little wall unit that runs off natural gas,its been the best thing Ive ever done.Of course you would have to have a gas line ran to your shop already.All heaters say to use in a ventilated area but that has never made any sense to me.If your interested in one of those heaters they usually sell them at all of the home improvement stores this time of year.They are supposed to simmulate a small fire place.

I'm going to agree with everyone else and tell you to get a heater that runs with propane. I've used both at work over the years and can tell you it's alot less hassle to light, fuel, store and move around in the garage. I know some where like Home Depot will have one around 80,000 btu for just over $100. I would also suggest the convection style over the torpedo because it's much quieter and uses no electricity. Plus you don't have to store the propane tank for you BBQ during the winter, a 20lb. tank will run that heater for 12hrs on low to medium heat.
Take care, Tim

I think they call that an infered heater. A convection heater would stand on it's own, about the size of the kerosine heater you originally pictured. It would be connected to the propane tank with a rubber gas line. Tim

Torpedo Gets my vote. Unless your painting it shouldnt be any problem. Keep the door cracked a bit and get a CO detector

Later

Taz

Why not electrical? I use this on to heat my shop (3-phase 400 volts).

gedmeyer: I've been using kerosene heaters in the garage for over 30 years. No problems. Just bought the exact one you seen at Home Depot. Just follow the directions for usage and you'll be alright. Do you really think that in today's "sue-you" attitude that any large manufacturer or store would sell a product that is unsafe and get away with it for any length of time? Just use common sense: proper type of fuel and ventilation. When you think about it, all the power tools they sell can be unsafe if you don't follow simple safety sense and use them as they are meant to be used!

I can start to heat my garage (2-car) up in the morning at about 9am and have it running all day for very little cost in fuel. In the dead of winter (below 20deg) I can usually get the garage to warm up to around 50deg in about 1-1/2 hours.

I'm hoping this new heater is more efficient than my 15yr old one.

I can find kerosene here for around $2 a gal. if I keep my eyes open.....

i use kerosene also to heat a 14x28 garage,itll get up to 65 in half hour,also i buy there gallons of keroclean it burns cleaner and no smell,but $5 a gallon.But ill be switching to a propane wall mounted after christmas the ones they sell at lowes and home depot.A friend of mine has one for his 2 car garage and it stays at 75 while we are working.

There are a few others here in search of a garage heater.

Here is a good thread on "Garage Heaters" too ;)

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom