Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Garage kept or just car cover?

F

Fiddler's Gold

I am in the process of getting the funds together (since I spent a great deal of my modest funds for the Vette) for a nice large enclosed and climate-controlled workshop building. (30x60)
For reference, I live just out of city limits on a 15 acre farm with horses (quarter, shetland, throughbred & Dutch Warmbloods) with a gravel/etc type driveway. I don't want any problems with the gravel so I will drive very slow. The roads of course are completely concrete & asphalt paved but my drive is still old gravel. (not much loose) - In any case, I have the choice of parking it under a open-sided pole-type barn with a custom high-quality cover (next to my restored 1950 Ford 8N tractor that I did last year) Talk about Ford vs. Chevy! or leave it out in the drive with just the cover. Problem is that there is a great deal of the normal dust and dirt from living in the country and it will make it hard to keep it clean. (hence the reason for the building in the first place) ;) The horses are not near nor in the pole barn - but always in the large pastures. Should I look into getting a portable drive carport like those at Wal-Mart or elsewhere or will it be ok just in the drive?

In any case, it is a beautiful & proven SCCA 2001 Solo-II Divisional Winner and I want to take good care of it. Not to mention that this is my first Vette.

Thanks,
Andy

I have a cover, one of the best you can buy (it was the best at the time) and the cover is no replacement for a garage... with dust in the air, it finds its way through and onto the car, when it rains the car still gets dirty, the car still gets hot.... now what i use is both... garage and a cover:)

I built a garage for my car, but it will still get dusty in the garage you will need to cover also.
I would bet your car would get a mess real quick in a poll barn. A friend of mine put up one of
those metal hangar type garages, real nice.

Garage, no question

I underscore the above. I had to leave my Vette at the airport for years. I used the best covers, but there's no way any cover can afford protection anything like that of a garage; thermo or not.

Grit gets under the cover and into the soft material, which allows movement from wind to grind the paint. Moisture and dirt get through because the covers, 'breathe'.

I use a California duster to dust my garaged cars, preferring to not use a cover inside, as they only change the dust pattern. If you use a cover, review and follow the instructions for washing it, and do it regularly.

:w

I would go with the garage and cover , just to be safe.

I use a cover on my 94 that lives outside as the 75 gets the garage. I keep it covered and I swear it gets dirtier with the cover on then when it's off. I have a evolution4 cover and everytime it rained the car was a mess. I figured that maybe it was because it was old, so I just bought a new Noah cover and it doesn't work much better.

A cover is good for keeping the sun off your car but if it rains it still gets nasty. I think it stays cleaner in the rain without a cover.

A garage with a cover is the best protection. Maybe the canopy with a cover would be the next best choice. I was thinking of going that route myself.

How often will you be driving it?

Daily?
Garage

Weekly
Garage & cover

Monthly
Garage
cover
JUMBO Zip loc bag over cover & car

( leave an exit line for the trickle charger )

Vig!

Andy,

No room in the 30x60 for the Vette?

I keep mine in the garage. Used to use a cover
also, but hated it. I like to see the car when I'm
in the garage!! I just wash it more frequently
than if I had a cover.

I use a California Duster also. Those things are
great. I guess you could argue that they might
leave micro-scratches, but I do not notice. I vacuum after
each use and keep it in the bag.

Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom