Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

garage lighting ideas?

D

Dave L.

Does anyone have any suggestions on garage lighting. My new 'shrine' will be 30 x 40. I was considering going with fluorescents. Since I believe they come in 8 ft lengths,I was thinking 3 runs,each 32 ft in length. Is there anything else out in the market now that might be a better idea? Thanks....

First off best of luck with contruction.What are you going to do for heat?

As for your lighting I hate flouresents.They are ineffecent,the ballast always go bad.if you have a dead bulb the light use's more energy to try and keep the bulb lit.And they give off a funny light.But they are normally the most afourdable to install in the begining.Also if your turning them on and off it will cost more re start them then to leave them on all day.All that being said

The reason I ask about heating is some flouresents are not designed to start in a cold enfiroment.

Depending on your ceiling height There are some nice effecent light's available.called sodium GRAINGER.com has a whole section on them.Very effecent but take a long warm up time.Some of them give off a yellow light.

Again all that being said I will be installing flouresents in my garage in 4' lenghts(so I will be instaling more smaller lights for the same effect as 1 8')
and carefully wireing them so if i am just walking in the garage for some thing I will light up every other one with one switch .If I am in the garage to work I will light up all of them with a different wall switch.Mine will all be mounted to the ceiling with hanging ones mounted above work area (like a work bench)

Me personally have not found a different lighting source for a garage yet.

Good luck

I'm going to use a Modine 'Hot Dawg' HD75 for heat. The fluorescents I have in my present garage are made to light up fast in cold garage conditions. I remember paying extra for this type of fixture. I'm open to any alternatives as far as the lighting situation goes.

I am looking at regular incandescent pots and putting those compact flouresent bulbs in. Task lighting over the benches and portable worklights for under car work.

I would probably go with 8 foot 2 lamp fluorescent fixtures. If it is cold in the shop alot then you will need high output or H.O. fluorescents. Metal halide or high pressure sodium fixtures are nice but they are not nearly as effective with a lower than 16 foot ceiling and are a hassle because they take a while to warm up each time you turn them on.
That being said, and cost being a factor, I would probably use regular 8'2lamp fluorescent fixtures but add about 6 - 150 incadescent fixtures on a seperate switch so you can still have light until your shop is warm enough for the fluorescents to fire up in the winter.
Sorry about the long response but email me if you have any questions.

Mike

There are 4 bulb 32" flourescents that makes much more light than 48" ones.

These are I believe with electronic starters vs a ballast. For sure not balast.

$39 for the 32" vs $26 for the 48" at Home Depot.
At least one brand if not all can be used with just two bulbs. (tubes).

Question six people and U will get 6 opinions.
Some electrical wholesale outlets have knowledgeable sales persons.
Talk to some builders and contractors. They will know the knowledgeable ones to talk to.

My friend just bought a 32". How I became a smart axe. This one is installed in the warm.

Burglar is correct. HD's are the type fixtures you want. Depending on the color of the ceiling, height and overall shape, you want to provide enough footcandles (fixtures) so you will have good coverage. You could contact a lighting sales represenetive, and he could tell you exactly the fixture count and spacing you need. Most lighting fixture companies stock fixtures in a wherehouse nearby, plus you get the lighting consultant (sales rep.) for free saving you money overall.

The F32 designation is wattage for the T8 lamps that are the smaller diameter "new" lamp. It is still 48" inches long. The old designation was F40 which was also a 48" lamp but larger in diameter.

Mike

I have ten 8-foot 2-tube fluorescent fixtures, ceiling-mounted, that do a great job in my 44'x 58' garage; the ceiling is white, walls are off-white, and the floor is a glossy light gray epoxy, which is highly reflective and just about doubles the lighting effectiveness. I had them wired with bank-switching, so I can control most of them individually or in groups so I can select lighting only where I need it. I have one more 2-tube 8-foot fixture chain-hung lower over my main workbench area for a much higher lighting level on the benches, and have six ceiling-mounted reels in the main work area; four with flourescent drop lights, and two with extension cords (keeps cords off the floor). I spend most of every day and evening in the garage (my office is out there too), and haven't had a tube go out yet, after four years; I'll probably re-tube the whole garage this summer, as the lumen output of fluorescents tapers off gradually so it's hard to notice they're aging.

:beer

Before you buy your fluorescent fixtures, check the starting temperature on the ballasts and the lamps. They may not light or take some time to light in a unheated garage.
I have low temperature starting ballasts and standard F40 T12 lamps. They come right on even at 32deg F. This may be expensive so you may want to install this setup in just a few fixtures for convenience.

Thanks Todd and all others for your great replys!!

Hi Dave,

Don't know if you made your decision? Have you thought about recessed can lights.Adjusting the brightness is a big plus..If you go with the fluorescent get the recessed .Just my .02.

Ps Vette is in the process of finally getting painted..

Greetings, just wanted to throw this out. at work we have two 48in twin tube florencense mounted vertically on a rolling stand. works great when you need light in one spot to do touch ups cleaning or just need close-in lighting.
once we get done with this darn house-hunting i will build one for myself.

robin

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom