Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas Gauge Accuracy

P

page62

This afternoon while out on a drive, I look at my gas gauge. It appears to be hitting the red "reserve" area. So I stop at my local Sam's Club for some 93 octane ($1.30 per gallone).

Anyhow, the car won't take more than 15 gallons, and the needle is pegged firmly to the right. But I know the tank is supposed to hold 23-25 gallons. So what's wrong here???

Perhaps your sending unit in the tank is on the fritz.

Dave

Page..... Sounds like either a sending unit that needs calibration or possibly a loose or bad ground. However..... I'd be VERY careful about overfilling the big tanks in the late C3's with the 24 gallon tanks. Do not top off the tank.

............ Nut

Don't forget that the internal bladder on these tanks can actually shrink! At least, that's what I've been told :) Your tank may only hold 16-18 gallons now.

Russ

I agree with Russ the bladder has collapsed and will not hold the full amount of fuel. I understand the bladder can be removed and just use it as unlined tank. You have to save the area of the bladder around the filler area as that was the gasket. Chuck

I think im in the sam boat, Ive heard this 24 gallon talk, but I cant seem to get a drop over 17 in mine, I never knew or considered a bladder .. and my guage is very accurate twords the top end of the tank.

Well unless my lights are on then my guages just bounce around where they please with no consern for whats happening on the car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom