Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas gauge - HELP

Corvette
1981Dark Blue Metallic & 2004 conv. magnetic red
I'm getting frustrated because my gas gauge is not working. All the dash gauges do work, pulled out fuses and reinserted them is case of corision during the winter storage but this did nothing.

I filled the tank because it was reading close to full and the needle didn't move. With todays gas prices its expensive to keep it filled but thats the only way I can feel comfortable taking it for a cruise.

Any Hints would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chuck

Could be a bad ground at the tank or a bad sending unit, varnish builds up on the coil inside the tank. It would need to be replaced. Bill

I believe if you remove and jump to Ground the tank sending unit wire, the gauge should go to Full. Remove the jump to Ground (no connection), the gauge should drop to Empty. :)

Rick
:gap

Just the opposite - if you ground the sender wire, the gauge should show empty (no resistance); if you just disconnect it, the gauge should show full (high resistance) - that will check out the gauge function and wiring from the sending unit to the gauge. With a VOM connected from the sending unit terminal to ground, it should show 0-2 ohms with the float all the way down (empty), and 88-90 ohms with the float all the way up (full). If the float isn't moving, your tank bladder may be collapsing. Make sure you have a good clean ground connection from the sending unit - no ground, no work.
:beer

Oops-you are right, John Z. :beer
I'm at work and don't have my "Tech Tips" file handy. This file contains copies of Tech articles from various magazines like Car Craft, Hot Rod, Super Chevy, etc. Real handy when you are looking for that certain article and you don't have to go through a stack of mags for that 1 page bit on identifying stamp codes on Rally wheels, or whatever...:)

A suggestion for all of you...;)

Rick
:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom