Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas Gauge Problems

Not to speak for Andy, but I've been using Techron religiously and have never had a recurrance of the problem. I also switched to Sunoco gas about six months ago when all of the Mobil stations in Northern Virginia switched to Sunoco.

- Eric:w

Since I started uing Shell V-Power I haven't had the problem Saturday, on the way back from Carlisle, I was forced to get Exxon (just 5 gallons). It failed the next day, put in Techron, it worked then failed again. Going to the dealer? Why not? Or, the chaplin.

Hi, Please Read the Begining of your post out loud to Yourself several times ;LOL!! LOL

Go Back to Shell and techron concentrate plus and reset the dic codes and the problem will be gone. Then you need at least 4 good tankfuls with techron concentrate plus The 12 gallon size, then add it once a month or so hope this helps.............. Dr C5 Corvette :cool

This is a very common problem for all C5 owners. At one time or another, C5 owners had to deal with this problem ... I know I did and was a major concern, when it happend. But in reading through the threads about this major concern ... changing your gas brand actually helped resolved this fuel gauge issue for me.

Ever since I swtiched to Chevron and Shell, have not experienced it again. Both Shell and Chevron have techron. This is from my experience and just want to pass it around and hope it helps out some of you out there.

Save the wave ... :w

Dan

This is a very common problem for all C5 owners. At one time or another, C5 owners had to deal with this problem ... I know I did and was a major concern, when it happend. But in reading through the threads about this major concern ... changing your gas brand actually helped resolved this fuel gauge issue for me.

Ever since I swtiched to Chevron and Shell, have not experienced it again. Both Shell and Chevron have techron. This is from my experience and just want to pass it around and hope it helps out some of you out there.

Save the wave ... :w

Dan

I am curious...what is the experience with other GM products? Does anyone have a faulty gas guage in their Malibu sedan or Chevy truck? I have a 2004 Silverado 4wd and never have experienced this issue despite the type of gas I burn?? :confused Go figure??:bash I do experience it frequently in the Vette??:eek:hnoes

LT

I am curious...what is the experience with other GM products? Does anyone have a faulty gas guage in their Malibu sedan or Chevy truck? I have a 2004 Silverado 4wd and never have experienced this issue despite the type of gas I burn?? :confused Go figure??:bash I do experience it frequently in the Vette??:eek:hnoes

LT
Having owned nothing but GM products, I can say I've never experienced it in anything except the 98 Vette. Like you said, go figure;shrug.

I think this is really the heart of the question: why only C5 gas guages and why can't it be fixed? I bet if it was my Cadillac CTS and I had blue hair and a tight perm it would be fixed in a heartbeat. So, GM, give me a permanent fix not this Techron/Shell band aid. Why are Corvette owners treated like bothersome children?
I met Dave McClellan at Carlisle and told him I read his book and I admired his work. He turned to the guy he was with and pointed at me with his thumb and said, "Groupie." ****ed me off.
So is this website "the voice of the owners" to GM or are we groupies?

Having owned nothing but GM products, I can say I've never experienced it in anything except the 98 Vette. Like you said, go figure;shrug.

I think this is really the heart of the question: why only C5 gas guages and why can't it be fixed? I bet if it was my Cadillac CTS and I had blue hair and a tight perm it would be fixed in a heartbeat. So, GM, give me a permanent fix not this Techron/Shell band aid. Why are Corvette owners treated like bothersome children?
I met Dave McClellan at Carlisle and told him I read his book and I admired his work. He turned to the guy he was with and pointed at me with his thumb and said, "Groupie." ****ed me off.
So is this website "the voice of the owners" to GM or are we groupies?

I agree...the heart of the issue is "why"? Why does their flagship have so many unique "engineering" issues? :confused I've heard all the counter arguments about how complex and sophisticated this vehicle is...but, it still does not explain "why"...during an entire model generation (C5) the same issues persist 'ad nauseum'. erratic gas guage, cheapo oil temp unit, quirky EBCM, abberant column lock mechanisms, leaking differential seals, headlight failures (GM apparently fixed this one with the C6..they admitted defeat...take out the hide-away headlights = no more issues), and on and on. :confused:confused:confused

All I can say is that I am glad I did not pay "sticker" for mine...I'd be really p.o.'d. I love the car...but, I hate the GM response to these issues. :mad Finally, I have had several people admire my Vert and suggest that they might get a used one too. But, I warned them to be very careful. Once I lay out these common and recurring issues along with the cost to repair absent a warranty, most folks back off and buy something with a tad more reliability. ;shrug

LT

Corvette "unfixable" problems

I wonder if we could get GM's attention to address these issues?

Although, the early ( 66 though 87)Porsches had recurring issues: windshield leaks, breaking throttle cables, tranny synchros, rust. Only when the price quadrupled did these problems go away. It's ironic that only when Porsche's price went astronomical did I join the Corvette faithful. I had four Porsches. I love my C5 but it can be annoying. It's sad that if I want to make a long road trip, I'll take my 10 year old Acura.

I agree...the heart of the issue is "why"? Why does their flagship have so many unique "engineering" issues? :confused I've heard all the counter arguments about how complex and sophisticated this vehicle is...but, it still does not explain "why"...during an entire model generation (C5) the same issues persist 'ad nauseum'. erratic gas guage, cheapo oil temp unit, quirky EBCM, abberant column lock mechanisms, leaking differential seals, headlight failures (GM apparently fixed this one with the C6..they admitted defeat...take out the hide-away headlights = no more issues), and on and on. :confused:confused:confused

All I can say is that I am glad I did not pay "sticker" for mine...I'd be really p.o.'d. I love the car...but, I hate the GM response to these issues. :mad Finally, I have had several people admire my Vert and suggest that they might get a used one too. But, I warned them to be very careful. Once I lay out these common and recurring issues along with the cost to repair absent a warranty, most folks back off and buy something with a tad more reliability. ;shrug

LT

Try BG 44K

I've had the same gauge issue in my '01. I now use BG 44K fuel additive once a year and have never had the problem again. It's a bit expensive($12/can) but IMHO it's the best you can buy. You can buy it online (as do I) or check some of your local car dealers. I've also heard the some stores like Advance auto and pep boys carry it.

Dave

Thanks for the tip. But I want a permanemt fix from GM since I am sick of these acknowledged but "unfixable" problems. After all, who -- in the whole world -- had more engineering horsepower and experience than GM? C'mon guys NO MORE BAND AID fixes!!

I've had the same gauge issue in my '01. I now use BG 44K fuel additive once a year and have never had the problem again. It's a bit expensive($12/can) but IMHO it's the best you can buy. You can buy it online (as do I) or check some of your local car dealers. I've also heard the some stores like Advance auto and pep boys carry it.

Dave

Gas Gauge

Look up Top Tier gasolines on the Web. They also list the Oil Companies who provide it. Adding Techron can help or prevent the problem. The Corvette is not the only vehicle with this gauge problem. Other cars and motorcycles experience "empty" after a gas fill up. I use only Top Tier gasoline and put Techron in the tank a couple of times a year in all my vehicles, including the motorcycle.

I just had this problem repaired on my 03 Z under GMPP. I bought the no ded version. I think that the main reason that GM hasn' fixed it is that, IMHO it is just plain cheaper to have to replace the few, that's right few I know several other owners, from a 99 coupe to a 2003 vert to a 2002 Z and several more and none of them have had the problem. The 99 coupe has almost 200,000 miles on it. Designing a new part after the car is no longer in production just does not make fiscal sense. Also someone mentioned a Porsche, Yes a Porsche is going to be a much better car, BUT you are paying a premium, enjoy and love the Vette for what it is a cheap, reliable, very fast, well handling car built to the highest of GM's standards(which may not be very high) however if you want the best built cars on the planet, go ahead and pay more. Just my .02

Velour vs Cashmere

Your response does indicate that you "get it." Some of the people on this site are too quick to adopt a "work around" to a problem, or throw dollars at a problem. If you revisit my Porsche diatribe you will see that I said even Porsches had multi-generational problems. Brlieve me, if I could afford a Cayman S I'd have one. But my C5 is a load of bang for the buck. It's velour vs. cashmere, ya know?

I just had this problem repaired on my 03 Z under GMPP. I bought the no ded version. I think that the main reason that GM hasn' fixed it is that, IMHO it is just plain cheaper to have to replace the few, that's right few I know several other owners, from a 99 coupe to a 2003 vert to a 2002 Z and several more and none of them have had the problem. The 99 coupe has almost 200,000 miles on it. Designing a new part after the car is no longer in production just does not make fiscal sense. Also someone mentioned a Porsche, Yes a Porsche is going to be a much better car, BUT you are paying a premium, enjoy and love the Vette for what it is a cheap, reliable, very fast, well handling car built to the highest of GM's standards(which may not be very high) however if you want the best built cars on the planet, go ahead and pay more. Just my .02

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom