Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

gas gauge stuck

K

kyredneck13

recently the gas gauge in my 87 has been staying on full, not going down till the reserve light comes on. since it has been in and out of the shop since ive had it, i would rather try to tackle this myself. if anyone has any advice on this please help. thank you all.

im thinkin stuck float??

Yeah I would think the sending unit or something would be the culprit. Seems odd thought that the reserve light comes on even when it reads full. Kind of like if one part of the unit says it is full, how can the other part determine it is almost empty. I guess it is possible these are seperate. Either way I am not sure how the dash determines how much gas is in there. I know mine is off sometimes, staying on fuel for two days, and then dropping a quarter of a tank in one day.

Good Luck,
Craig

In my 90 there is a plastic hose clamp that clamps the hose from the fuel pump to the metal tube leaving the tank. The clamp had rotated such that it was binding the float arm in the full position. If this is the problem, relocating the clamp fixes it.
:lou:w Good luck

Removal of the fuel pump/sending unit takes about 30 minutes. Not a really hard job at all. I recommend not smoking however when doing it. ;squint:

Can you buy the sending unit by itself or is it part of the fuel pump/sending unit? Thanks, Marty

the sending unit will run you about $200.00 but you may find one on eBay for a lot less...eBay even has new ones for about half price over a dealer..
Mike R

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom