Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas guage don't work

Z

zgator

It's pegged on full.I used to be able to shake it lose Nascar style but then it only worked until 1/2 tank.I've got a NOs 84 pump still in the box should I use this or go with an 85.I figure the 84 is the same as 82 because of the crossfire.I do not want to drop the tank.Are there any wireing differences in useing the 85 pump.I don't like wireing and wireing don't like me.

Go with the 85. wiring is the same. They have changed some of the wire fittings on the new pumps...don't matter if its an 82-84-85...you'll need to do a bit of wiring...instruction come with the 85 pump.

Tank doesn't need to come out. Pump will come up through the top where you put the gas. You'll need a gasket for there.

Jim

Does the new pump come with a gasket?Do these new wires plug in or are we talking splicing?

Everything comes with the new pump except the big gasket. I can only speak for the 85 pump. It had real detailed instructions with pictures. I paid big bucks...I bought a Delco from the dealer...maybe $180 if I recall.

Jim

When my 82 was new to me, the gauges started going full scale on some and zero on others one day. It was an intermittant thing that never caused the car to stop running but the gauges would go all whacky. I mean all the gauges at once!!

It turned out to be a loose connector on the back of the gauge cluster that wasn't plugged in all the way. Someone before I bought it had the instrument panel out and didn't plug the connector in until it "clicked".
I reached in the back of the instrument panel through the glove box after removing the glove box liner and pushed the connector in until it clicked in place. Problem solved.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom