Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

NOISY L81

WONKABOY

Hello, it seems i'm going through alot of problems with my 81 which only has 64,000 but with a history of during it's prime within a 10 year period only 2,000 miles were put on , now i have the beast!! And to think i traded a 94 C4 YELLOW , for this!! First off brought to my mechanic for the check engine light, he fixed that no problem , along with , belts, waterpump, starter, motor mounts, ass.power steering rack assm. , emergency brake assm., rear brake calipers, power door locks, well some of you know, fuse box clips don't look good meaning no power for my fan blower, and the speedo keeps jumping , i did recieve GREAT feedback on the those 2 problems, and yet to fix, well here are a couple more, i have had this car for 5 months but only have been really driving it for 2 weeks and logged on est. 500 miles , well i now hear noises mostly when going slow like through a park where you can here everthing, first from the rear, like clicking or something i think it's the universals? heres another from the front , when the car is slowing down off an exit ramp i hear a rolling sound , maybe calibers rubbing , brakes seem fine , not as good as my c4 , but okay, heres another i must have filled up 5 times so far with 93 sunco so i'm running the **** out of it on the way home from work, and i'm really driving it to maybe get some bugs out of it, for the past 2 days if i let it sit overnight it seems hard starting have to pump the gas and if it don't start i flood the **** out of it and finally starts up and of coarse all the smoke comes out to clear it , i do get my fast idle and it stays
for awhile, after it warms up the idle goes down and engine does shake at light but has smooth excellation and no dead spots , so it is a nice smooth carb, only seems to be getting more ****ty for start up, maybe vacum leak, spark plugs, wires, coil? i have spent $3,000 on this fringing clean car, and cannot afford to much more the way i think it should run!! i still have to paint it to make it worth while, body is nice and straight and new interior from last owner, this car has not been abused you can tell , but it has that ****ty start up and low idle , and all those godamm noises, please give me feedback and tell me i don't have a lemon and these are the charistics of a 1981 C3
I had an 84 and 94 no carb , so i'm used to a smooth running motor, please reply back with some reasurring feedback , because i feel like selling it , and let the next person fix everthing else!!! Thanks Rick

My personal opinion is that in order for a car to be reliable, it has to be driven regularly. Sounds like yours has done alot of sitting. The cold start problem is probably going to be frustrating, I have not had alot of luck with q-jet auto chokes (someone else may have some advice that will help us both), but overall, my '81 is very reliable and I drive it almost every day, including out of town road trips. (about 12k mi/year) If yoiu enjoy driving the car, you will probably have to get her used to being on the road again (translation: spend a few bucks on repairs), but it is a good reliable car by design and once you have the bugs out (and get used to the hard cold starts) you will really love it. God bless, Sensei

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but pumping the gas pedal while turning the ignition is normal. I usually pump the pedal twice, then pump while cranking, and it fires right up, no smoke. The idle will be a little low and could be a little jumpy until it fully warms up, even after initial fast idle warm up. Also, the atmosphere seems to have an effect on the way it runs too. On humid days it runs like crap and makes a lot of noise until it fully warms up; just an inherent problem with a carb I believe. Hope this helped a little, I'm know mechanic, just telling you how mine runs (which after many repairs, seems to be running very well).

-Tatortot

noisy corvette

Sensei said:
My personal opinion is that in order for a car to be reliable, it has to be driven regularly. Sounds like yours has done alot of sitting. The cold start problem is probably going to be frustrating, I have not had alot of luck with q-jet auto chokes (someone else may have some advice that will help us both), but overall, my '81 is very reliable and I drive it almost every day, including out of town road trips. (about 12k mi/year) If yoiu enjoy driving the car, you will probably have to get her used to being on the road again (translation: spend a few bucks on repairs), but it is a good reliable car by design and once you have the bugs out (and get used to the hard cold starts) you will really love it. God bless, Sensei

speed a few bucks, i'm up to $2900 , thanks for the imput!!

noisy corvette

22229stingray81 said:
I know this doesn't really answer your question, but pumping the gas pedal while turning the ignition is normal. I usually pump the pedal twice, then pump while cranking, and it fires right up, no smoke. The idle will be a little low and could be a little jumpy until it fully warms up, even after initial fast idle warm up. Also, the atmosphere seems to have an effect on the way it runs too. On humid days it runs like crap and makes a lot of noise until it fully warms up; just an inherent problem with a carb I believe. Hope this helped a little, I'm know mechanic, just telling you how mine runs (which after many repairs, seems to be running very well).

-Tatortot

thanks for the imput!!

wonkaboy,

First things first;)

You have a carb not fuel injection, very different animal. In order to get a cold start you must "MUST" put the pedal all the way to the floor at least once to set the choke. My 81 regularly required 2 or 3 pumps to prime the carb and then let the accelerator up to start the engine. Fast idle is normal while the choke operates, to kick it off fast idle after the engine is running a minute or 2, tap the accelerator firmly but quickly to disengage. This is not to say that there aren't problems with your Q-jet, they were a challenge.

DDLS1 said:
wonkaboy,

First things first;)

You have a carb not fuel injection, very different animal. In order to get a cold start you must "MUST" put the pedal all the way to the floor at least once to set the choke. My 81 regularly required 2 or 3 pumps to prime the carb and then let the accelerator up to start the engine. Fast idle is normal while the choke operates, to kick it off fast idle after the engine is running a minute or 2, tap the accelerator firmly but quickly to disengage. This is not to say that there aren't problems with your Q-jet, they were a challenge.

That's what my cousin said , a different breed of animal, today wasn't bad , i think i have to get my own combination of starting, i will try your way and see, i know i pump once and it starts , then stalls , if i prime to much that's when it will get flooded and all the junk comes out of the tail pipe till i blow it out, when it get's a little warmer , i'm going to clean it with carb cleaner, i do have a high idle like you said, finally when it warms up, my idle in drive is kind of low, enough to make the engine shake a little , but does not stall and has perfect accelation, does your motor idle low too? Thanks for your imput, now i know i'm not alone!!! Rick

The difference between your 94 and your current 81 is that your 94 had a electric fuel pump. So when you turned the key one click the pump already started to work and fuel was at the injectors before your key turned to the start position. A 81 has a mechanical fuel pump at the rightfrontside of the block. It starts when the crankshaft begins to turn. The carb also has a (if i remember correct it's called a) bowl where it stores some fuel, the fuel disappears after some time so thats in a nutshell why you have to help you engine to wake up ;) Everybody has there own technique, i pressed the gas pedal halfway and it fired right away.

As you also bring forward, change the spark plugs. At least look at them when they are dirty the spark isn't as powerful as it should be etc etc.
Good luck! :)

Greetings Peter.

I would say the main thing to remember is this car is 25 years old, Its carberated not F.I. and even though the miles may be low, it needs to be taken care of. There is a big difference in technology between 81-94 especially in a corvette. Your brakes are not going to be half as good, its a different start up and warm up practice, and your going to feel alot more bumps and shakes in your classic body style. Also, are you sure you needed all those things the mechanic did for you? Your complaining about the money your spending, but you have not explained why. For instance the starter, did it die? Or did you just replace it because the mechanic said to? Im not sure what the clicking is, I would reccomend taking it to a corvette mechainc and check out the rear end. As far as starting goes, I have some problems with the Q-jet myself and plan on bringing to somone who specializes on them, that somone from this forum reccomended. Well good luck, and remember its 25 years old and some of these things are expected when our buying a classic.

Right on the money

Everybody is on the money. You went from fuel injected to a carb. Just have to revert back to your teen years....all cars were that way. Start them play with the gas....feel it almost konk out....feather the gas feel the excitment and go for it. C-3's are not C-4's but they can be fun if you overlook what sometimes seems to be abnormal. Have fun :cry :Steer

Wonkaboy, I think I may have the answer to your clicking noise from the rear end,because my newly aquired 81 did the same thing the first day i drove it off corvette center's lot.

You mentioned that your mechanic changed the emergency brake. Did the clicking noise start right after that?

CC put a new parking brake on my 81,and it immediately started clicking when i drove it. I too,thought ujoint or rear end.

No,all the remedy was,they backed off the brake a bit and that was it.

The mechanic said they had to "run in" the parking brake and readjust it.

clicking problem solved.

Hope this helps in your situation and dont give up on your 81.

ken

noisy corvette

C3L81 said:
I would say the main thing to remember is this car is 25 years old, Its carberated not F.I. and even though the miles may be low, it needs to be taken care of. There is a big difference in technology between 81-94 especially in a corvette. Your brakes are not going to be half as good, its a different start up and warm up practice, and your going to feel alot more bumps and shakes in your classic body style. Also, are you sure you needed all those things the mechanic did for you? Your complaining about the money your spending, but you have not explained why. For instance the starter, did it die? Or did you just replace it because the mechanic said to? Im not sure what the clicking is, I would reccomend taking it to a corvette mechainc and check out the rear end. As far as starting goes, I have some problems with the Q-jet myself and plan on bringing to somone who specializes on them, that somone from this forum reccomended. Well good luck, and remember its 25 years old and some of these things are expected when our buying a classic.

Thanks for your imput about the carb and f.i. , i have to remember it is 25 years old!!! as far as the starter being change, well i got in it one day and all i had with the key turned forward were the gen lights ,etc no power , so my menchanic towed it and of coarse he tap the starter and it started , so he changed it, i go to pick it up and it did the same thing in his driveway, so he hot wired it and it started, he could not figure it out, he then kept it for a week and it started every day, so i took it back and it has been 2 weeks and it starts everyday, but i know he blew out the clips in my fuse box where the ac/blower is when he was trying to figure out where to hot wire it, i was right there and he was checking for power, put it this way i will never go back to him again and he's my cousin who owns the place, he must have needed the money, i have an itemized bill , but he burnt me on labor and parts, ****ing scumbag!!!!!! so now i am looking for a place who will respect my old classic!!!! Thanks for the imput!!

noisy corvette

hdkeno said:
Wonkaboy, I think I may have the answer to your clicking noise from the rear end,because my newly aquired 81 did the same thing the first day i drove it off corvette center's lot.

You mentioned that your mechanic changed the emergency brake. Did the clicking noise start right after that?

CC put a new parking brake on my 81,and it immediately started clicking when i drove it. I too,thought ujoint or rear end.

No,all the remedy was,they backed off the brake a bit and that was it.

The mechanic said they had to "run in" the parking brake and readjust it.

clicking problem solved.

Hope this helps in your situation and dont give up on your 81.

ken

Thanks ken, i have all new E.B. Assembly done, i think it is the universals, how are they up there, i went there once and they where closed, are they good in problem solving, and checking for shorts, etc. i still want to paint it the frost beige, the car is very straight for paint , so i'm lucky for that, please get back to me about the corvette center and what you think as far as prices and knowlege, thanks rick

noisy corvette

JOE BYRNE said:
Everybody is on the money. You went from fuel injected to a carb. Just have to revert back to your teen years....all cars were that way. Start them play with the gas....feel it almost konk out....feather the gas feel the excitment and go for it. C-3's are not C-4's but they can be fun if you overlook what sometimes seems to be abnormal. Have fun :cry :Steer

This is true about the Carb vs F.I. I'm 45 and have had over 55 different cars, all different years, This is my 3rd Corvette and i'm on my 7th new Harley ( FUEL INJECTED) so i'm like a motor head and want everthing to run with perfection!! don't we all!!
All i can say is one day at a time!!! Thanks for your imput!! Oh and by the way i always go for it , i did 154 four times in my C4 and this C3 well i broke the speedo coming home on a smooth stretch from Mass. to Conn , i think i better start babying my investment.. Rick

Peer81 said:
The difference between your 94 and your current 81 is that your 94 had a electric fuel pump. So when you turned the key one click the pump already started to work and fuel was at the injectors before your key turned to the start position. A 81 has a mechanical fuel pump at the rightfrontside of the block. It starts when the crankshaft begins to turn. The carb also has a (if i remember correct it's called a) bowl where it stores some fuel, the fuel disappears after some time so thats in a nutshell why you have to help you engine to wake up ;) Everybody has there own technique, i pressed the gas pedal halfway and it fired right away.

As you also bring forward, change the spark plugs. At least look at them when they are dirty the spark isn't as powerful as it should be etc etc.

Greetings Peter.

Thanks Pete, yes when it's gets warmer i'm going to check/change plugs, wires, coil, and maybe a vacum leak, engine is clean i know that, and it has very smooth accelation, but ****ty at the light, shakes.

Rick

have a good night

Rick,

Have a good night. If you start losing sleep over your new baby let me know...I can help you through....LOL

Joe

:L :w :beer

JOE BYRNE said:
Rick,

Have a good night. If you start losing sleep over your new baby let me know...I can help you through....LOL

Joe

:L :w :beer

Hey joe , i lose sleep everynite over this car, if you seen what i traded for this car you would die, it was a 1994 Competition Yellow coupe , i had it for 7 years, bought it with 48,000 had 106,00 when traded , I won a couple of trophys at shows, i always wanted the C3 and found it on ebay , i convinced the old guy to trade, drove up to his house, he didn't even take it for a ride!!
Well after i DO paint it, i will see what i'm going to due , at least i know what to look out for, i don't think i want a 81 with the computor, i always like the 76 but without the alarm on the fender!!!

RICK

noisy corvette

Peer81 said:

Greetings Peter.

DUTCH RULES !!!!!!!!!

I hear ya

I just got mine to where it is running well and I just put it up on the for sale section...either moving up to a C-4 years or going to buy a 68 Chevy Impala SS.....believe it or not!!!

Talk later Rick

Joe

JOE BYRNE said:
I just got mine to where it is running well and I just put it up on the for sale section...either moving up to a C-4 years or going to buy a 68 Chevy Impala SS.....believe it or not!!!

Talk later Rick

Joe

Yours will be worth alot of money , i always loved the orange!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom