Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas in Oil

G

go16

HI - I have a 1990 vette and after taking it in for an oil change, the mechanic told me that I may be getting gas in the oil. Could it be a fluke thing being it was just taken out of storage ?? What could be the problem ?? How serious is this??

Thanks for any input !!!!!

I would keep an eye on it. It could be somewhat serious. I would want to know why the mechanic thinks there is gas in the oil. Did he see it? Did he smell it? Was the level on the dipstick high? Is the car running rich? My guess would be a fuel injector leaking. The only way I know of to check would be to pull the fuel rails off, let them sit overnight and check for leaks. Someone else might have a better way. Hope this helps

Honestly, the only time I've heard of that is when GM used a mechanical fuel pump that was attached to the engine. The first thing I would do is go back to the mechanic and ask him how come he feels there is gas is in your oil. You do need to find this out. The gas only comes into direct contact with the block only when it is injected into the piston on a 90, am pretty certain. This would mean that you not only have a piston that isn't firing, its got a really big hole in it as well.

My gut feeling is that the mechanic doesn't know what he is talking about. However if you have water in your oil, that is a potential problem. Get a second opinion.

my .02

Thanks mikevochis and singledad 9 for the input. I guess when he was changing the oil he smelled it . I don't know if he did any other tests to determine that that's what it was. I will get a second opinion though.

You may want to get your oil analyzed by a lab. I just tried the service from OILFAX.COM and like it. FYI--I discovered the service from my cousin who owns the business. He owns a major Porsche speed shop in Tucson, AZ. I get nothing by referring you to this and wouldn't do so unless I thought the product was really good. They analyzed my oil and I think I got a clean bill of health. I need to follow up with a question on silicon though.

Really...for the $35 for the analysis I think you'll get great info on the health of your engine. Their website has a sample report so you can see what info you'll get. I really think this is a great tool for someone looking to buy a car! They keep a database on your results so you can see the progress as you fix things.

http://www.oilfax.com/

as an airplane owner, getting an analysis from an oil change is a good idea if you suspect a problem. Like he said above, it there is fuel, its probably a leaking fuel injector. Try doing a pressure leak down test on the fuel rail to see if pressure stays up or drops off. Cant hurt to run a can or two of fuel injector cleaner thru a tankful of gas.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom