Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

gas prices

I think its just coincidence that 90% of the population lives on the American border.

Very true- just like so some many of our good US nay burrs live right against the Canadian border- like Detroit for instance.

Where are you from again? :L

What's it like to be the only people in world that can go south and be in Canada?

Very true- just like so some many of our good US nay burrs live right against the Canadian border- like Detroit for instance.

Where are you from again? :L

What's it like to be the only people in world that can go south and be in Canada?

Whats it like to be a jackass?:ugh Gotta love the personal attack dude.....

You are starting a mud slinging battle in a gas thread. I said NOTHING about your country but good things and facts, but you dig into mine like its time to throw down and go.
I like Canada and it being a good neighbor, but asshats like you ruin it for your fellow countrymen.
Good job Mikey:eyerole

Inexpensive gas is a link to a strong economy

Following WWII, the US made travel easier via the automobile with the creation of a network of roads going east and west and north and south. During the '50s the US really expanded and it was because of the economy and the new improved road system.

We really grew as a nation as did our need for more oil and gasoline. Gasoline consumption really grew and gas prices were quite low--based much on the number of gallons we needed. It was a supply and demand situation.

As the population further expanded, America's needs continued to grow. Oil and gas was critical to everything we did. We became the #1 transportation country in the world. Our economy permitted the purchase and ownership of not just one car, but several. I can remember when my own family became a two car family--ever though my mom didn't drive. We had a 59 Caddy and a 1961 Impala. My dad owned a service station in '61 and gas was a mere 27.9 for regular, 30.9 for extra and 31.9 for premium leaded.

When people in other countries reference the $7, $8 or higher per gallon it costs them, the first thing that comes to mind is the economy of the country they live it. The next is how large the country is in terms of roads and their overall transportation needs.

Clearly the price of European gas is much higher than in the US. Same is true in New Zealand and Australia. Yet these countries don't have the same road systems, the same number of cars, the equivalent distances to travel, and so on. They don't consume the amount of gas we consume.

Our prices are cheaper than theirs because of the volume of gasoline we purchase. As such, major prices increases have a traumatic effect on our life style and economy. Both go hand and hand.

I'm thankful that we don't pay $8 per gallon for fuel. And I do realize that if we did, the US would go into a deep depression that would effect just about everyone on the planet. The cheaper the cost of our transportation the stronger our economy and the more vitality we have. :D

Whats it like to be a jackass?:ugh Gotta love the personal attack dude.....

You are starting a mud slinging battle in a gas thread. I said NOTHING about your country but good things and facts, but you dig into mine like its time to throw down and go.
I like Canada and it being a good neighbor, but asshats like you ruin it for your fellow countrymen.
Good job Mikey:eyerole

Umm sorry- personal attack? Where? Dug into your country? Where?

Scroll back to vett boy's post if you want to see an 'attack'. :ugh

Let's get real here and not start something where nothing exists.

Our prices are cheaper than theirs because of the volume of gasoline we purchase.

Sorry, false, gas is virtually the same price everywhere as a commodity. it's the taxes that make the retail price different. As vett boy alluded to, Canadian-refined gas is cheaper at US stations than at Canadian stations of the same brand name. How could that be except for local taxes?

Yes taxes are higher in many countries

Clearly, taxes effect the bottom line the consumer spends for any product.

In Germany for instance, the consumer never knows what the "sales" tax is as the product has it already built into the cost paid for it. This is much like the gasoline taxes in the US.

BTW, the US gets quite a bit of gasoline from our good neighbors to the north. :cool!:

======
The value of the dollar also effects the price of crude oil. GEEZ, this really is a can of worms.

I find it curious that a thread about gas and what octane and price people are using goes for 4 pages then takes nose dive and has come down to our country is better than yours, NO OUR COUNTRY IS BETTER.

It's all good folks, life ain't that dam important to turn every thread into a pissing match :eyerole

I'll stop here and hope this gets the message across...
:duh (everywhere I look) :duh

Bud
Forums Administrator

WOW-this thread really went sideways!Anyway there is a book out called 20 dollars a gallon,read that!:mad

Well, obviously I took offence to a few of the comments above and came back with one or two of my own. I was surprised to see some of the statements and thought they were more typical of the cr*p that goes on unabated at that 'other' web site.

I think Yoda stepped in at the right moment to cool things down.:beer

One thing that has always amazed me- and with the permission of the OP and the mods- is situations where a person will openly insult or criticize another persons' country by using the logic that 'since I think it's true, I can say it with complete impunity'. Obviously if the person has got their facts wrong he just looks like an idiot, but in the case where the person is correct, why provoke an unpleasant change in the direction of conversation?

Certainly no one would point out that someone's else's wife had gotten fat and needed her moustache trimmed, so why insult somebody else's country?

I suppose a follow-on point would be to wonder why, if someone believes that they can openly point out faults with others, do they believe it inexcusable when they get a dose of their own medicine.

Again referring to another web site, there was a huge blow up recently with new owners and potential new owners finding out that their engines were built in Canada and not in the US. Some threatened to not buy the cars, others promised to write GM nasty letters. Things went way over the edge when it was pointed out that Camaros were also not built in the US.

WTF? :confused

I don't really give a shit about some of the dorky arguments which have broken out in this thread, but...I do like to stir the pot.:D

I think the OP in this thread was something about "saving money" by trying to run 87-oct gas in late model Corvettes.

That's dumb.

While it's true, newer Vettes--which, depending on model year, are calibrated for either 91-oct or 93-oct. fuel--with some exceptions (2nd and 3rd Gen ZR-1s and C6 Z06es for example) can run on regular-grade unleaded gasoline, there are no good reasons to do so.

While knock retard will usually save your ass when running low-octane fuel, when you run 85-87-oct gas, the higher frequency of knock retard requests has the ECM switching to the "low-octane fuel" spark table.

When the ECM retards timing, either through simple knock retard or operation on the low-octane fuel spark table in conjunction with any knock retard, the engine runs hotter, performance is reduced and fuel economy is reduced. That's what you get when you run regular-grade gas.

If you people are worried about mileage, buy a Chevy Cruze but put good gas in your Vettes.

I don't really give a shit about some of the dorky arguments which have broken out in this thread, but...I do like to stir the pot.:D <snip>
Hib Stir the Pot :chuckle .... who'd thunk something like that :confused ;LOL :L :happyanim:

:w
Bud
:dance

I think Hib has the final word.The answer I was looking for 5 pages ago!:happyanim:

I thought that the essential point was made on the first page by Vett Boy, but.....

This same question comes up on the discussion board I belong to for my daily beater. The engine comes in two versions, 4.2L non-supercharged at 11:1 compression and same displacement with 9.1:1 compression if supercharged. Mine's the non-supercharged version.

Both are optimized for min 91 octane and there's a constant string of people that laid out big bucks for these cars either new or used and want to now save a dollar or two by using 87 octane.

Actual road tests show no measurable difference in steady state highway cruising- nor should there be as the engine is not operating in 'detonation/pre-ignition' territory- but a significant reduction in power during spirited acceleration as the knock sensors kick in.

Here and on the other board, I don't understand the logic of buying a premium class vehicle then going cheap on fuel or other components that affect performance. :confused

<snipe)> .. I don't understand the logic of buying a premium class vehicle then going cheap on fuel or other components that affect performance. :confused

"Bingo we gots a winner."
That applies to more than Gas ;)

Not always but a greater % of the time the extra few $$ for original parts makes a huge difference in installation, performance and future repairs... Just my observation so far in this life :D

Bud

Well you both are correct-in my book.I put mid grade in for about a week did not notice anything-meaning you can do it-but maybe not forever,saving a few bucksi is not worth it for our cars:beer

Fuel

Out here in the hinterlands we have a choice most often of 89 oct. regular and 91 oct. 10% ethenol blend. We can also get 90 oct. BP blend if you don't want to run the ethenol blend through the older cars. By the way the price here is $3.62 a gal. for ethenol blend.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom