Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas :Super or Regular?

potter22

Corvette
1989 Candy Apple Coupe
Just wondering if anyone uses regular gas with gas prices so high. I have heard if it doesn't ping your fine, but I dont think I would take a chance. What do you all think?

I'm not taking any chances with regular. A motor costs too much to rebuild and the cost is a lump sum whereas the extra cost of super is spread out over a much longer period.

Definetly run super. Yes the car should run on regular, but I would not take the chance.

I tried SUNOCO 89 octane, the car ran like crap, guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and run the good stuff 94 octane..............

fuel prices are sky high in The Netherlands at the moment

1,37 Euro per liter

which is converted something like

2 dollar per liter ( 1 gallon = nearly 4 liters)

but I still drive the Vette like this :D

Put it this way...after filling my Vette up with anything with an octane rating less than 92...I might as well put the icing on the cake ...further the abuse with a leisurly run through the local automated CarWash:nono :nono Followed by a :r to the radiator!!! Best stay with the good stuff. Hey this is America...who frigggin' cares how much gas is a gallon????!!!! Its the same ol' story...gas prices go up...we complain with a ;shrug as we head out to the Garage for an afternoon cruise to nowhere.
But theres a shortage...right???:eyerole Hey Better drive your Vette before we run out of the stuff!!!! Or at least before we run out of Social Security!!!

well.... the price of super in my area is about .16 more than regular. if my car had a THIRTY gallon tank it would only cost $4.80 more per fill but (of couse) it doesn't hold 30 g's. (just to DRIVE the point home, no pun intended) what's the point???? fillerup with super, super hi-test!!!!! geterdone.

I tried some mid-grade gas the other day in my '86. Once the mid-grade made its way into the engine it sounded like my Ford F250 Diesel. Put in some octane boost in it and she runs fine. Super ONLY.....lesson learned no more experimenting for me. :)

I have run regular unleaded in my 90 a couple times when I couldn't get the premium. I notice the diff in the idle , it gets rough. Run it out and put in the premium and it gets better with each fill till it is all out of the system. As far as under power, scared to get on it with the regular.:eek

:w

The octane any given engine needs is in direct relation to the normal operating temperature and the compression ratio of the engine. Given that our cars are "set" to run in the 200 range and the compression ratio is ~9:1 it is going to take a higher octane. There is a chart I've seen that graphs it all out. With my HD radiator my car runs right at 150-160 I could probabally run 89 octane but I choose not to. The General recommends these things for a reason.

Only super here too. I fill the car up about once per month, so I can handle that. I about cried when I filled up the Avalanche the other day.

Heck, the other day I put over $300 of gas in a boat a work. At $2.60+ per gallon at the local marinas, it adds up fast!!!!

slapshot said:
$2.60+ per gallon!!!
that's all? at a marina? Even the cheap stuff, on the street in SoCal is $2.40!

At 11:1, I run premium, which is 91 locally. I did find, as posted on another thread, it really likes the $5/gal. 100 octane.

I use Chevron regular (87), it runs fine to me, I do not push it, if I'm going for a long drive I put 92 just in case anyone with the urge would come along. Gas Price in the San Bernardino County, California: $2.59 regular

Driving my Vette: PRICELESS:)

jimmie jam said:
well.... the price of super in my area is about .16 more than regular. if my car had a THIRTY gallon tank it would only cost $4.80 more per fill but (of couse) it doesn't hold 30 g's. (just to DRIVE the point home, no pun intended) what's the point???? fillerup with super, super hi-test!!!!! geterdone.

Here its .20 price premium and I was thinking the same thing--$4 even 2 times a week in season seems like short $$$ compared to the $$$ that already have been consumed by said toy.

When I run regular the "service engine soon" light comes on.. other then that I runs fine.....but I have to admit that I do not pust it hard

Mike

potter22 said:
Just wondering if anyone uses regular gas with gas prices so high. I have heard if it doesn't ping your fine, but I dont think I would take a chance. What do you all think?

Haven't used Reg. unleaded in my vehicles since 1998. Mid-grade goes in my lil Z24 Cav and 93 octane in the Vette. At around $2.14 for mid-grade and $2.24 for the 93 Octane, driving either car gets expensive. I usually use BP/Amoco cause I have a BP Visa card and will get a lil sumptin back ($20 on a rebate swipe card) or Chevron/Exxon or Texaco. Prices vary around 1 or 2 cents.

WhalePirot said:
At 11:1, I run premium, which is 91 locally. I did find, as posted on another thread, it really likes the $5/gal. 100 octane.

Wowzers thats getting up there. Guess thats part of the secret to the 500 squared. ;worship I bet it does like the 100 octane. :lou

I can't believe so many of you have used regular gas in your vette. I would consider it if I was stranded somewhere and that's all that was available. I would definately be afraid of "Engine Damage"! Forgive me for being supprised....but I am!

I still use preminum in my Corvettes, Cadillac and Plymouth. The Cadillac has 'Preminum required' on the dash under the speedometer, and the Plymouth pings a little on preminum. For the three to four dollars extra per fill up, why take the chance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom