Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Gasoline and your Corvette ?

Corvette
2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !
Do any of you have a particular Gasoline you use in your car and does it have a difference in the operation ? I was using ExxonMobile 93 and the car always ran excellant. But the station closed and I started using Sunoco 93 and after a few tankfuls I started to notice the car was getting hard to start. I looked around for different station but to no avail, then about two months ago the ExxonMobil open up again and I found a Shell station a little farther from home. With shell I know it's one of the gasoline stations on the list of 'Top Tier' gasolines, so I filled up with Shell and we'll see if things change. I know it starts right away on ExxonMobil so I have that as a backup. I was told that Sunoco has too much sulfur in it ? :w

My experiences with my current vehicles (which are all recommended to use premium grade fuel) have led me to run Shell, Chevron, and Texaco (which, I believe, is now owned by Chevron) almost exclusively. These are all "Top Tier" suppliers. I avoid the bargain suppliers (e.g., Valero), as I've noted typical engine "objections" to these fuels (knocking, pinging), even in my old GMC Jimmy that only called for regular unleaded.

Sunoco does not have a presence in South-Central Texas, but when I'm up your direction (I'm originally from Pittsburgh), I have used Sunoco 93 in whatever vehicle I'm running there, and haven't noticed any appreciable difference. In fairness, though, I'm not running it regularly, and have never run it through my Corvette, so I'm perhaps ill-qualified to evaluate it in comparison to Shell, etc. It was recently pointed out to me on another forum, when I mentioned I was running Sunoco 93 in my vehicle, that only Sunoco Canada is on the "Top Tier" list of fuels. Off hand I couldn't tell you with any authority why Sunoco Canada is "Top Tier" and Sunoco 93 isn't; perhaps it's as you stated (sulfur content)...? :confused

What I do know is my dad will run Sunoco in his Tahoe and my mom's Bonneville as well, but I don't know how regularly he does, nor which grade he uses (neither of those vehicles calls for premium fuel). But to the best of my knowledge, they don't have any issues/problems with Sunoco either.

Maybe time to run some Fuel Injection cleaner through your fuel system. Techron Fuel System Cleaner and/or Techron Fuel Injection Cleaner are 2 of the cleaners I use. Just run a bottle through with a tankful of gas. Techron (a Chevron product available at most automotive stores) has also helped me avoid the dreaded fuel gauge problem common to C5s and many GM cars (fuel gauage reads full them plumets to empty; or reads empty when really full or near so). Others have used Seafoam. I'd run the Fuel System cleaner for one tank and follow it up with the Injector cleaner for the next tank.

Gasoline

Maybe time to run some Fuel Injection cleaner through your fuel system. Techron Fuel System Cleaner and/or Techron Fuel Injection Cleaner are 2 of the cleaners I use. Just run a bottle through with a tankful of gas. Techron (a Chevron product available at most automotive stores) has also helped me avoid the dreaded fuel gauge problem common to C5s and many GM cars (fuel gauage reads full them plumets to empty; or reads empty when really full or near so). Others have used Seafoam. I'd run the Fuel System cleaner for one tank and follow it up with the Injector cleaner for the next tank.

I already use 'Techron' every third tankful, but I've owned this corvette for six years and it's garaged and I can tell when it's not right. And it normally fires off with like a half turn of the crankshaft or so but it's that fast of an ignition burst. And with Sunoco 93, the gasoline & Corvette defiantly do not like each other. I'll see how shell works out. My corvette is a garage queen, but I go through two or three tankfuls in a season, so I want to get the best gasoline I can.

I mentioned at another website thatI change the motor oil once a year, (The owners manual says 7000 miles or once a year) and that I usually have like 85% oil life on DIC at time of change, One of the thread posters in the thread said I was stupid for changing the oil with such a % left. I tried to leave it alone but the same person kept at it so after waiting awhile I posted that if an oil change on a $50K dollar car at $50.00 was such a huge mistake, perhaps he'd be better off running around in a Colbalt instead of a Corvette? Ya meet all types. :w

I run Shell V-Power exclusively in the 'vette. In a pinch I'll use Diamond Shamrock's Premium, but it just doesn't seem to provide the same "ooomph". It could just be a perception though. I never put bargain brands in though.

I usually fill up on post. If I was too lazy, I just put whatever in there. I run fuel injector cleaner every 4 months or so. I do put a lot of miles on my car, though. I have it tuned for 91 as we could not get 93 in Oklahoma. I haven't had an problems with the fuel system.

Shell V Power for me ever since I had gas guage problems. I add a bottle of Techron a couple times a season too.

Mobil 93 octane. Never any problems. Runs great and good mileage. I can't say that for the other stations.

Citgo and Sunoco have a big presence out east where I live so I use either one of their 93 octain. Also Techron twice each season.

Gasoline

Since most all gasoline has ethanol I don't see any difference in performance. ethanol attracts moisture so using a drying agent in the tank occassionally may help. i don't use off brands but again they all have ethanol so i don't know if Shell, Chevron or BP are any better than Wal-Mart gas.

Gasoline types

Since most all gasoline has ethanol I don't see any difference in performance. ethanol attracts moisture so using a drying agent in the tank occassionally may help. i don't use off brands but again they all have ethanol so i don't know if Shell, Chevron or BP are any better than Wal-Mart gas.

Well if you go to www.toptiergas.com you'll see what gasoline makers meets the strick specs. for being consider a 'Top Tier' gasoline which is cleaner and more stable if I understand why the twenty or so manufacturers/retailers gas stations. I now know my 2003 LS1 does not like Sunoco Ultra 93, so I'm filling it with shell 93, but the engine runs smoothest on ExxonMobil 93 octane the best ? :w

Any "tier 1" gasoline should be fine. Look past ad hype.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
76, Petro-Canada, Aloha Petroleum, Phillips 66, Chevron, QuikTrip, Chevron Canada, Rebel Oil, Conoco, Road Ranger, CountryMark, Severson Oil, Entec Stations, Shell, Esso, Shell Canada, Exxon, Sunoco Canada, Kwik Trip, Kwik Star, Texaco, MFA Oil Co. The Somerset Refinery, Inc. Mileage Stations, Tri-Par Oil Co, Mobil, Turkey Hill, Minit Markets, U.S. Oil

Gasoline or is it?

This week I have been reading a lot of information about the problems with ethanol and gasoline mixtures. There are various products out there that are supposedly helpful in dealing with the fact that we are all getting less mpg with just about any car we own using E10.
I have been talking to some local mechanics about the situation and one of them told me he regularly sends fuel samples from different local gas stations to be tested at a lab in Richmond. The results are down right disappointing, some of the gas stations have as high as 20% ethanol in their gas when it's labelled on the pump as "May contain up to 10%".
I am in the process of trying to find out if any state agency tests the ethanol content to be sure it is 10% or less when labelled accordingly and I have ordered a test kit that will show percentages so I will be doing some of my own testing and if my findings are the same it may be time to pursue the "False advertising" approach to correcting the situation.

There is a great video at this link to show how E10 absorbs water directly from the air.
YouTube - How Ethanol Gas Attracts Water from the Air - Demonstration

After I viewed the video I make sure that the vents on my gas containers are shut to avoid unnecessary air exposure.

The BG company makes a Gas Drier product that is supposed to be very good at removing water from gas and fuel tanks. I have not had any problems to date with any of my vehicles and tractors and can only assume that it's because I always use fuel that has not aged significantly. I am trying "BG 44K Power Enhancer " in my 2000 Silverado 5.3 with 119,000 miles on it to clean the injectors and see if the mpg improves a bit. I'll keep you posted on that one.

Keep 'em rollin' :W
Bill :w

That video has more bad science in than a Buck Rogers movie. Why would moisture condense either on the outside or inside af a glass jar just because there's ethanol in it?

Explanation

That video has more bad science in than a Buck Rogers movie. Why would moisture condense either on the outside or inside af a glass jar just because there's ethanol in it?

When the fan is blowing over the open container of E10 there is evaporation occurring . As each molecule is agitated by the "Wind" which means they gain energy, an "escape velocity" is attained. As the molecules "lift off", (evaporate), from the main solution they take energy with them, thus lowering the temperature of the solution left behind in the beaker. The beaker temperature becomes lower than the surrounding air temperature and allows for water condensation on the outside while, at the same time, the alcohol is absorbing the moisture, (humidity), from the air causing the gasoline to turn cloudy inside. Therefore, this causes water formation in and out of the container.

I always liked Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon also.

I hope that helps.

Keep 'em rollin' :W
Bill :w

That's frightening, if you're actually being serious. Please take a jar of pure alcohol- ethanol, methanol, whatever type you like and blow room temperature air across it. Does it evaporate at a visible rate? No. Does the liquid cool to below room temp? No. In the video the surface of the gasoline is not even being disturbed by the air supposedly blowing across it, but there again the fan is approx. 5 feet away.

The amount of energy required to cool this vessel and it's entire contents to below the dew point would be tremendous.

I'll also point out that the video was posted by a company that sells a magic potion that stops bad things from happening to E10 gas. What a co-inkydink :chuckle

Gasoline or is it?

That's frightening, if you're actually being serious. Please take a jar of pure alcohol- ethanol, methanol, whatever type you like and blow room temperature air across it. Does it evaporate at a visible rate? No. Does the liquid cool to below room temp? No. In the video the surface of the gasoline is not even being disturbed by the air supposedly blowing across it, but there again the fan is approx. 5 feet away.

The amount of energy required to cool this vessel and it's entire contents to below the dew point would be tremendous.

I'll also point out that the video was posted by a company that sells a magic potion that stops bad things from happening to E10 gas. What a co-inkydink :chuckle

You're right too many unaccounted variables.

Bill

i usually use Texaco_One morning I filled up withShell 93 and it was a cold morning,rare here in sw florida when I left the store I nailed it-wow! It my vette,took off like a rocket!I know high-perf. cars like cold air but I was impressed!I know it was probably a combination of the two.:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom